Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Dreel Castle (Duster?)

johnpetermoss

I'm trying to identify my fathers naval career!

One line states Dreel Castle (looks like Duster) 97----AB 6 27th Jan17 31st Dec17

do 1st Jan18 6th Jan18

I've seen Dreel Castle posted as a drifter and, a shore base which might apply in this case, with the name in brackets being the ship he was on, but I can't find the 'Duster'

Any leads would be appreciated

Peter

I'm trying to identify my fathers naval career!

One line states Dreel Castle (looks like Duster) 97----AB 6 27th Jan17 31st Dec17

do 1st Jan18 6th Jan18

I've seen Dreel Castle posted as a drifter and, a shore base which might apply in this case, with the name in brackets being the ship he was on, but I can't find the 'Duster'

Any leads would be appreciated

Peter

Peter

HMT Duster was a Hull steam trawler, Port Reg. H267. 192TG, Built 1911 and constructed by Goole Shipbuilding. Armament

1x6pdr AA. Admty. No.421. Admiralty service November 1914 and converted to a M/S. 1917 Lost, wrecked near Portreath, Cornwall on 17th December.

During the afternoon of 15 December she left Penzance under tow of the trawler Lark-11, bound for Bristol for a refit.

The weather deterioated and when off Trevose Head the tow parted and the Duster was carried away. later that evening she went ashore in scratten Cove, Portreath and was wrecked, the crew being taken off by rocket apparatus.

Regards John

Hi John,

Great details...what's your source for the wreck info? I found nothing in Hocking...oh, but does this site have a photo?

-Daniel

Hello Daniel

Wreck information from 'British Warship Losses in the Ironclad Era 1860-1919' by David hepper.

The Fleetwood site originly had all the photo's on there but some were withdrawn due to copyright.

Regards John

Peter

HMT Duster was a Hull steam trawler, Port Reg. H267. 192TG, Built 1911 and constructed by Goole Shipbuilding. Armament

1x6pdr AA. Admty. No.421. Admiralty service November 1914 and converted to a M/S. 1917 Lost, wrecked near Portreath, Cornwall on 17th December.

During the afternoon of 15 December she left Penzance under tow of the trawler Lark-11, bound for Bristol for a refit.

The weather deterioated and when off Trevose Head the tow parted and the Duster was carried away. later that evening she went ashore in scratten Cove, Portreath and was wrecked, the crew being taken off by rocket apparatus.

Regards John

Hi John, that ties in with what my mother, she was a good swimmer used to say about my dad, " He was in the Navy couldn't swim a stroke, but was shipwrecked and survived"

Regards Peter

Hi John, that ties in with what my mother, she was a good swimmer used to say about my dad, " He was in the Navy couldn't swim a stroke, but was shipwrecked and survived"

Regards Peter

Peter,

He was on board when she was wrecked? Wow. Any other recollections you might have would be most interesting to hear.

There are some materials at the National Archives UK about HMT Duster...may be worth the cost:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...5728885&j=1

There are also crew agreements for the Duster at the Memorial University Archives in Canada from 1914:

http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombine...icial_No=132253

-Daniel

Peter,

He was on board when she was wrecked? Wow. Any other recollections you might have would be most interesting to hear.

There are some materials at the National Archives UK about HMT Duster...may be worth the cost:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...5728885&j=1

-Daniel

Hi Daniel, Just tried the National Archives but they're closed for the weekend will try again monday.

Like most of the old sweats he would never talk much about his experiences as a Sea Gunner, but one thing he did mention on one occasion was that the ship he was on was equiped with a field gun, and it was lethal to both sides when fired.

He served in the Royal Air Force in WWII so you can imagine his experiences, but he would hardly ever share them.

Regards Peter

Hi Peter,

You might also inquire at Southampton Library as they have Wreck Reports for vessels not lost due to enemy action. The Duster does not come up via the search feature but that does not mean they don't have something. Recently I asked about two wrecks that were not coming up via the website and they had comprehensive wreck reports for both, which they sent free of charge.

Visit:

http://www.plimsoll.org/WrecksAndAccidents...rts/default.asp

-Daniel

Just in passing, Nathaniel Williams was serving as a Stoker RNR (actual job, diver) on HM Drifter "Dreel Castle" when he died of accidental injuries received in Holyhead Harbour on 16 November 1916, aged 42.

I have the vessel down as a tug boat, but am willing to be corrected. He was buried at Holyhead, which was also his place of residence.

LST_164

Peter.

The Times has very minor war-time references to H.M.S. Dreel Castle as "parent ship at Falmouth base" and "parent ship of the patrols working from Falmouth."

regards,

Martin

Many thanks to all the pals that replied to my post, especially John's, you've certainly given me some areas to investigate.

In passing what would the 97/6 listed under ships books, refer to?

Regards Peter

Hi Daniel, Just tried the National Archives but they're closed for the weekend will try again monday.

Like most of the old sweats he would never talk much about his experiences as a Sea Gunner, but one thing he did mention on one occasion was that the ship he was on was equipped with a field gun, and it was lethal to both sides when fired.

He served in the Royal Air Force in WWII so you can imagine his experiences, but he would hardly ever share them.

Regards Peter

Hi there, just received the download from the National Archives but it doesn't have as much information that have received on the forum.

It's the certificate of registry that has been overwritten in red ink stating that the vessel was lost on admiralty service and the certificate was cancelled on 23rd April 1919.

Will have to try Southhampton, I've tried the various Lifeboat Station local to Scratten Cove, online to no avail.

Regards Peter

• 6 months later...
Just in passing, Nathaniel Williams was serving as a Stoker RNR (actual job, diver) on HM Drifter "Dreel Castle" when he died of accidental injuries received in Holyhead Harbour on 16 November 1916, aged 42.

I have the vessel down as a tug boat, but am willing to be corrected. He was buried at Holyhead, which was also his place of residence.

LST_164

Just to offer a slight correction. Although buried at Holyhead, Nathanial Williams died at Falmouth after being struck by a parted hawser causing him to fall about 12 feet striking his head. It is believed that he died from a fractured skull. He was taken to the Royal Cornwall Sailors Home and Hospital but failed to recover. This information is sourced from a report in the Holyhead and Anglesey Chronicle at the time with details obtained from the Cornwall Coroner's Inquest.

Sospan,

thanks for that information - my source was likewise the Holyhead Chronicle issues of 1 and 8 December 1916. The location of Dreel Castle (base) makes your version more convincing : seems my old manuscript notes must have been well up the creek!

Maybe member Carmania with his Holyhead special interest might enlighten us here?

LST_164

Sospan,

thanks for that information - my source was likewise the Holyhead Chronicle issues of 1 and 8 December 1916. The location of Dreel Castle (base) makes your version more convincing : seems my old manuscript notes must have been well up the creek!

Maybe member Carmania with his Holyhead special interest might enlighten us here?

LST_164

Hi Sospan & LST_164,

I think it's necessary to find out when the name Dreel Castle was transfered to a shore base, it appears that it was done before 1917.

My father's Sea Service Certificate shows Duster was attached to Dreel Castle (Shore Base or Depot Ship?)

post-47259-1264089652.jpg]

We know Duster was wrecked near Portreath 17 Dec. 17 see Spithead post #3 and the Ditto marks are under Duster not Dreel Castle, but who's the one who signed J.A. Webster?

Regards Peter

Peter,

Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy states:-

DREEL CASTLE

Drifter commissioned 2.2.15. Nominal depot ship Auxiliary Patrol Falmouth, Penzance, & Scillies replacing Vivid 1.10.15 - 16.9.19 [accounts to Vivid IV]. Flag of Rear Admiral Falmouth struck 15.8.19.

David.

Sospan,

LST_164

I'm in the same position, I all I have is the information from the Holyhead Chronicle.

Aled