Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

29th Divisional Train (ASC)

robertb

I understand that Captain Sir Walter Randolph Fitzroy Farquhar served in the ASC during 1915-1916, in Galipolli & Egypt. Did he, however, serve with the 29th Divisional Train (ASC)?

Regards'

Rob ;)

Rob,

I regret that in my reading I have been able to find no trace of this officer, however regarding the 29th Div Train I can offer the following from Michael Young’s history of the ASC

“Unfortunately the Intelligence Branch of the War Office was unable to advise on roads and Lord Kitchener, who had proved his lack of knowledge on transport matters in the Boar War, directed that no transport of any sort was to be taken. He was persuaded to change his mind by Major General Long, Director of Supplies & Transport in the War Office. A field Bakery, Field Butchery, Reserve Parks, Ammunition Parks and Supply Column were also considered essential by Major General Long, but he was overruled. Instead of standard 3 ton lorries, the 29th Divisional Train was re-equipped with 30 cwt vehicles and this in spite of Lord Kitchener being informed by general Hamilton that pack transport was necessary. In the event these vehicles were moved as far as Mudros, but were then returned to be used in the Alexandria base and only 29th Divisional Train Supply personnel, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Longfellow-Cooper, were used in Gallipoli.”

I see that when he was killed on 15 Oct 1918 this officer was serving in the RFA; perhaps one of our artillery experts can throw some light on his earlier career?

Sorry I cannot be of more help

Michael D.R.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest huxstep

Rob, in the book Gallipoi Diary by Major John Gillam, DSO. he mentions a

Lieutenant Walter Fitzroy Farquhar of the A.S.C. 29th Division.

hope this is of help.

huxstep.

Huxstep,

This is fantastic news :D . I thought I was barking up the wrong tree, but alas, some kind of confirmatory information.

Does the information come from a published source? If it does could you please supply me with the details?

Thanks again,

Rob

Guest huxstep

Rob,

the info comes from the book mentioned before, Gallipoli Diary , published in 1918 reissued 1989 by The Strong Oak Press Ltd ISBN1-871048-15-x. There is little mentioned of Sir W R F Farquhar but in the index it states Lieutenant Farquhar A.S.C. 29th Div Train.

[Captain Farquhar Bt, R.F.A. (T.F.) K.in a 15/10/18.

huxstep

Thankyou Huxstep.