Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexandria barracks

John_Hartley

Are Mustapha Barracks and Ras-el-Tin Barracks the same place (or close enough to be treated as the same)?

Or is Ras-el-Tin at Mex?

Reason for asking is that the account I'm reading of 6th Manchesters is that they were based at Mustapha from late September 1914 until mid November when they spent a couple of weeks at Mex, before returning to Mustapha in early December.

No mention in the account of Ras-el-Tin which I'd understood to be at Alexandria - and I've seen photos purporting to be the battalion at Ras-el-Tin in November. Doesnt seem to add up - can anyone help with the geography?

TIA

John

John,

Mustapha Barracks and Ras el-Tin were not the same place. Former was a couple of miles east of Alexandria proper. Ras el-Tin Barracks were near the Western Harbour, but looking outwards towards the Med.

Russell

John,

Didn’t fully answer your question last night. If you look at a map of Alex there are two harbours (the E and the W) divided by a strip of land that looks like an upside-down Italy. Alex proper lies S of the boot and especially the waterfront (the Corniche) of the Eastern Harbour. Carry along the waterfront to the E of the Eastern Harbour and you’re on your way to Ramleh, 4 or 5 miles away, the furthest pt E of the tramline. Mustapha Barracks were about half way to Ramleh.

Ras el-Tin is first of all a palace, looking onto the Western Harbour down on that projection of land I’m calling a boot. The Ras el-Tin Barracks were on the sole of the boot, near the Palace, but facing the open sea to the N and not the Harbour to the S.

The waterfront to the S of the Western Harbour is Gabbari, which was also a large military camp during WWI; and to the W of Gabbari (about a mile W of Alex proper) is Mex, which was the furthest pt of the tramline in that direction.

This does not explain what the Battalion was doing at Ras el-Tin, but I hope it gives you the geography.

Russell

This is back-up for Russell's post above

GreatWarAlexandria.jpg

The map is from the N & M P/IWM disc

But John has pointed out a very real need which must be answered in some or other journal or diary, bearing in mind the numerous bases in war-time Egypt

regards

Michael

Gents

Thanks for the geography. I think I may now have solved the query. There's mention in the 42nd Division history of 5th, 6th and 8th Manchesters being quartered at Mustapha "while detachments were accommodated in the forts of Ras-el-Tin and Kom-el-Dik".

I need to try and do some more research but I think this might fit with the troops acting as guards of civilians of German nationality being held there prior to going into internment on Malta. One of the photos of Ras-el-Tin I've seen, dating to the end of 11/14, is noted as being said civilians being searched prior to going into internment.

John

Thanks, Michael. Here's another map which may also help -- shows you the "boot" between the 2 harbours as well as Mex, Ras el-Tin and Mustapha.

Russell

post-29366-1247134513.jpg