The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Owl Trench Cemetery, Hebuterne

high wood

I took these photographs last week when visiting the grave of Temporary Lieutenant Walter Foster Knight, 14th Battalion, (attached 16th Battalion), West Yorkshire Regiment at Owl Trench Cemetery.

post-6480-1246947806.jpg

post-6480-1246947910.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi, This is my first post, so plaese bear with me....

Firstly, thank you for posting this picture of Walter.

My great grandfather will have served alongside him and died in the same offensive at Rossignol Wood, near Hebuterne on the 27th of February 1917.

It is interesting to see a picture of someone who will have been with Pvt F W Naughton during his last moments.

Do you have any further info that relates to the offensive that day? Maybe a link to the war diary or similar?

My wife and I too have visited Owl Trench Cemetery several years ago, it is well kept and as good a mark of respect as can be hoped for, as are all the cwwg cemeteries that we have visited.

Is your image cropped from a larger group photo? If so, could you post the full image, as this may hold an image of F W Naughton,

Kind Regards,

Cris

Dear Highwood,

I have been doing a small amount of research today and have discovered this site that relates to the Bradford Pals at Rossignol Wood.

On page 66- 67 you will find the story of Walter Forster Knight and my Great grandfather, F W Naughton.

Regards,

Cris

Please find the site here... http://www.bradlibs.com/bradfordpals/book/chapter%206%20(74%20-%2084).pdf

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi,  I have noticed an enquiry regarding the cropped photo of Walter Knight, I found the original photo of the group picture in a house I moved into to a few years ago. It was taken in Cambridge in 1915. I sent a scan of the photo to Dunstable grammar school, as he was a master there, and i also found several formal and informal phtos of him too. You  can view the full photo on Dunstable school website. Hope this may help.