The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Neuve-Chapelle, 12 March 1915 after.....

206thCEF

There had been fighting in and around Neuve Chapelle since 1914. Both the French and the British had faced the Germans there. In fact, the Germans state that it was there that they first experimented with gas. Gas grenades were used against the French in September 1914. If I remember aright, they were so unsuccessful that the French didn't know about them.

There had been fighting in and around Neuve Chapelle since 1914. Both the French and the British had faced the Germans there. In fact, the Germans state that it was there that they first experimented with gas. Gas grenades were used against the French in September 1914. If I remember aright, they were so unsuccessful that the French didn't know about them.

This picture really brings it home to me, my gt uncle fought at Neuve Chapelle in 1915!

D

I am actually researching the 1st Sherwood Foresters who spent the winter of 1914 in the area and fought in the battle.

Amazing photo of such a deadly area (even by WW1 standards)

Steve M

Hello all. I don't think I should add anything to this photograph.....

Joe

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...chlachtfeld.jpg

Will just mention this with regards to the picture.

1st Battalion The Sherwood Foresters V.C. Action.

NEUVE CHAPELLE.

12.March 1915

5 a.m. Germans suddenly shell Battn HQ's. and avdvance in overwhelming numbers to the attack. Our right is forced to retire through fear of being outflanked, and Battalion after inflicting heavy losses on the enemy, retire to the support trench about 150 yards in rear. Enemy continue to advance massing on our right and right centre, but thrown into disorder by company bomber Pte Rivers and through counter attacks by our left and left centre retire being decimated by our fire, and Battalion regains its former trenches by charges, the enemy again suffering very heavily from our fire whilst retiring.

Weather fine but dull with a heavy mist in early morning.

7 a.m. Battalion in complete possession of its former line but during this action Captain Dixon, 2nd Lieuts Shacklock and Walker were killed and Lt/Adjt Stranger and 2nd Lieut Binney were wounded.

3p.m.

Battalion suffer a few casualties from our own artillery fire. Lieutenant O'Dwyer was wounded.

9 p.m. Battalion withdrawn to support trench and a new defensive line is taken up.

6016 Private Jacob Rivers was awarded the Victoria Cross and was killed in this action.

BRONNO.

• 2 weeks later...