Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abandoned Memorial !

InkyBill

Guest Simon Bull

I too enjoyed Hedley's irony.

However, on the substantive question I find myself in the unusual position of disagreeing with Hedley. The problem with utilitarian memorials of the type he describes is their impermanence. Within a relatively short period of time (in historical terms), and for perfectly valid reasons, people decide they want a new prayer centre, village hall, hospital etc. The reason a "traditional" memorial tends to last is because it is, in the literal sense of the word, useless and therefore there is no incentive to update it.

I have recent personal experience of this. One of my first contacts with the First World War was that I used to go to cubs in the village hall at Houghton in Huntingdonshire. At that time the cubs were held in the Memorial Hall, in which hung a photograph of a man with a local connection who won the VC - John Leslie Green. Many times i read the information beside the photograph and I can still visualise the photograph hanging in a position of prominence.

I recently passed through Houghton and found that the Memorial Hall I knew had been demolished and was in the process of being replaced with a new building. In Houghton it only matters obliquely - there is a "traditional" memorial too, although, I believe, placed in the village cemetery which is in fact well outside the confines of the village and rarely visited. (Indeed, one could live for many years in the village without knowing of its existence. I lived there five years and have never seen it and am not sure of it position.)

In a broader sense, I suspect that very few of the War Memorial Hospitals that were built still survive as public buildings, or, in many cases, at all.

I am afraid that I still think that the only memorial likely to last is a traditional one.

Simon I agree with you about the traditional memorial in almost all cases. However here in Kentucky I do not.

Our state memorial to th over 1000 Kentuckians who died in WW1 is Memorial Hall at the University of Kentucky.It is the signature building of a 27000 student university in the steepled style of a New England Church. Inside there are panels with our 120 counties listed alphabetically and the dead of the counties alphabetically.

The buiding is used frequently for classes, concerts etc. I recently saw an old friend and his Bluegrass band there.

Similary our WW2 memorial is Memorial Coliseum where UK won three nationa championships in men's basketball. It's still used for women's basketball and many other things. The names of our dead are displayed the same way.

These buildings will last as long as civilized life.

Paul... ok, but how many people who use those locations know who they are dedicated to, or know what those memorialized did?

Of course the answer could be most people, but I tend to agree with Simon that with the exception of certain cases its more often than not that buildings which are monuments quickly become only named structures rather than memorials. Here in the US I would offer RFK stadium as a prime example. Even among Americans, unless you are a history buff who knows who RFK was or what he did?

Andy

Andy you are quite right few know what Memorial Coliseum and Memorial Hall represent. A UK drama professor recently got my name and asked me to speak to her class since they were doing a WW1 related play. I explained to her why the presentation should be in Memorial Hall, she had no clue though it's the building that symbolizes UK, used in all promotional materia etc.

Tennessee's War Memorial Plaza though, just across from state capital and fine York statue cannot be misunderstood.

I was not making a point contrary to yours but that no the memorials will not fall out of use and be discarded, not a chance!

I can't conceive that anyone didn't realise that Hedley's comments were ironic - although I have heard tell that Americans "don't do irony". Although I think this comment doesn't apply to Mr Guthrie - but then he's a shyster lawyer. So perhaps irony really is a suspect European "peace monkey" thing !

On the question of the memorial I have mixed feelings about the idea of rescuing it from its current position. As I have said "ad nauseam" our lovely Leatherhead war Memorial is now spruced up with floodlighting but bolted shut so you can't visit it without an appointment ! I'd prefer it a bit down at heel but accessible.

Ian

That thought crossed my mind, to send a letter to the local council to ask them what they are proposing to do with it, if anything

John

• 5 months later...

I have just been told that half of the memorial has now been cleaned and the names are again visible... roll on the other half :)

John