Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

7th Meerut Division

DDP1955

Hi Guys

Can anybody help me with this division, I'm struggling a bit with it

I know they arrived in France in October 1914 and moved to Mesopotamia in Jan 1916 where they remained untill the end of the war, but that's the extent of my knowledge at the moment. I'm researching a RAMC surgeon in this division, so am trying to find an overview of the divisions movements in France and Mesopotamia

Many thanks

Dianne

Dianne

Give me a name & I will check him up in my MOs book

Chris

Dianne

Give me a name & I will check him up in my MOs book

Chris

Wow! That was quick!

I think hw was a Captain and a Major for the duration of the War, later Lt. Col. Henry Crossley

I have a batch of letters he wrote to his mother in 1916, addressed from 20th British Field Ambulance and 31st British Stationary Hospital. I dont know anything about his or the Divisions movements in France and only the medical units he was attached to in Mesopotamia, not where they were

Dianne

Got him - pm me your e mail & I will scan the entry although it does not add much than what you already know

Chris

Dianne

Of no real relevance to your posting, for the record I have all the grave markers and memorials in the Meerut Cemetery in Boulogne, as desribed by the CWGC:

<quore>

The Meerut Stationary Hospital was established at Boulogne from October 1914, when the Indian Corps arrived in France, to November 1915, when they left; the Cemetery is named after the hospital. The majority of the Egyptian labourers buried here were killed in the air raid over Boulogne on the night of 4-5 September 1917. The cemetery contains 339 burials and commemorations of the First World War, including a memorial to 32 officers and men of the Indian Army, whose bodies were cremated in the cemetery in 1915. The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

</quote>

Regards

Martin

I have all the grave markers and memorials in the Meerut Cemetery in Boulogne, as desribed by the CWGC:

<quore>

The Meerut Stationary Hospital was established at Boulogne from October 1914, when the Indian Corps arrived in France, to November 1915, when they left; the Cemetery is named after the hospital. The majority of the Egyptian labourers buried here were killed in the air raid over Boulogne on the night of 4-5 September 1917. The cemetery contains 339 burials and commemorations of the First World War, including a memorial to 32 officers and men of the Indian Army, whose bodies were cremated in the cemetery in 1915. The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker. </quote>

Hi Martin

I havent managed to find out what unit he was attached to in France, it may well have been this hospital or a field ambulance with the Division. I just dont know. It might be worth finding out a bit more about this hospital.

Dianne

• 4 years later...

Hi

My great great uncle was in the 9th Seaforth's in France August 1915. He was later transferred to the 1st Seaforth's.

Does anyone have information when or why he would have been transfered?

Regards

Mike

Hi

My great great uncle was in the 9th Seaforth's in France August 1915. He was later transferred to the 1st Seaforth's.

Does anyone have information when or why he would have been transfered?

Regards

Mike

The Seaforth were decimated in Mesopotamia therefore he may have been sent as a replacement. They were also badly beaten up in a number of battles in 1915, but if he only went out in August, a later posting seems likely to me.

Hazel

• 3 years later...

Hi,  I hope you can help me also with regards to the 7th IND Meerut Division.

I understand my grandfather was in this division and wonder if you can help me pinpoint what his history is within the 14/18 war.  My sister has looked on the Army Forces website and not been successful.

His details are as follows: 

SGT POLLARD J.T.  (John Thomas)
R.A.M.C.
130 C.F.A.       
7TH IND. MEERUT DIVISION
E.E.F.    

Posted for duty: 21/04/1917  aged 24 @ Manchester

I have also found some discharge papers with the following details:

No 334 Protection Company.
Royal Defence Corps.
Regt'l No 84526
Pte John Thomas Pollard.

He was discharged on 02/08/1919

I would really appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction and look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards...Karen Pollard

Hello Karen and welcome to the forum

Can I ask where the first set of information (Sgt RAMC) came from? edit - you mean 105707 not 108707

The second record, discharge papers, refer to a man (Pte RDC) formerly Border Regiment. No mention of RAMC;  Are you sure you have the correct records for your GF?

It would help if you could confirm his date and place of birth and any military information that you have gathered through the family.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

As of 18 November 1917 the 134 coy are with 7th (Merrrut) Division (HQ at Samarra)

19th Brigade:

1/Seaforth Highlanders

28th Punjabis

92nd Punjabis

125th Rifles

No. 134 Machine Gun Company

19th Brigade Supply & Transport Company

On my own website I have a soldier who was in the 134 Coy, Machine Gun Corp part of the above

They took part in the Battle of Tabsor which started on the 19th September 1917

Just one battle as part of a wider set piece Battle of Megiddo.

Cheers

John

Edited by johnmelling1979

On 31/07/2017 at 14:10, charlie962 said:

Hello Karen and welcome to the forum

Can I ask where the first set of information (Sgt RAMC) came from? edit - you mean 105707 not 108707

The second record, discharge papers, refer to a man (Pte RDC) formerly Border Regiment. No mention of RAMC;  Are you sure you have the correct records for your GF?

It would help if you could confirm his date and place of birth and any military information that you have gathered through the family.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for responding.

My family know very little with regards to my Grandad's service and only have the documents that I've attached as a reference.  It is possible that the two documents are unrelated.  There could also be confusion in the fact my uncle was called John Pollard.

My grandfather was called John Thomas Pollard    d.o.b. 07/01/1896 and born in Ramsbottom, Lancashire.  He lived in Stockport from 1922 onwards.

My uncle John Pollard  d.o.b Sept 1923   Born: Stockport   (I don't think he was in active service as such...perhaps a reservist  in WWII)

My father Brian Pollard  d.o.b 18/12/1923  Born: Stockport.  Army Number T/14551131  799 Co RASC   (Air Despatch)  Served in Burma in WWII

Finally, My other Grandfather was Thomas Waters  d.o.b  09/02/1893 born Manchester who was in the 14th Btn Manchester Regiment.  Could the second part be his?

Apologies for all the confusion but I'd love to get to the bottom of all this and hope it's not too overbearing.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards, Karen

GBM_WO363-4_007273079_01402.jpg

discharge.jpg

John Thomas Pollard.jpg

John Pollard left Brian Pollard Right.jpg

On 31/07/2017 at 15:04, johnmelling1979 said:

As of 18 November 1917 the 134 coy are with 7th (Merrrut) Division (HQ at Samarra)

19th Brigade:

1/Seaforth Highlanders

28th Punjabis

92nd Punjabis

125th Rifles

No. 134 Machine Gun Company

19th Brigade Supply & Transport Company

On my own website I have a soldier who was in the 134 Coy, Machine Gun Corp part of the above

They took part in the Battle of Tabsor which started on the 19th September 1917

Just one battle as part of a wider set piece Battle of Megiddo.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Thanks also for responding.   I've attached the documents I have to 'Charlies' post on the same query.  I think it says 334 Coy rather than 134 Coy but I could be wrong.  The more I look into all this the more I'm getting confused...lol.

Again, I'd really appreciate any help with this and look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards, Karen

Karen,

I would suggest that the discharge papers for which you have provided extracts are nothing to do with your JT Pollard since they refer to a private not a sergeant, and as I said above, there is no reference to Medical Corps.

The splendid photo  of the RAMC Sergeant interestingly shows 2 overseas service chevrons on the lower right sleeve. Given that he has these chevrons but no medal ribbons yet, the photo is probably about 1918. I assume this is your grandfather.

Oops.

Incidenatally the title below was found in a book that he must have carried at the time.

SGT POLLARD J.T.  (John Thomas)
R.A.M.C.
130 C.F.A.       
7TH IND. MEERUT DIVISION
E.E.F.    

1 minute ago, charlie962 said:

Karen,

I would suggest that the discharge papers for which you have provided extracts are nothing to do with your JT Pollard since they refer to a private not a sergeant, and as I said above, there is no reference to Medical Corps.

The splendid photo  of the RAMC Sergeant interestingly shows 2 overseas service chevrons on the lower right sleeve. Given that he has these chevrons but no medal ribbons yet, the photo is probably about 1918. I assume this is your grandfather.

Hi,

Yes it is my grandfather.  I think I have one or two other pics if it helps.  I guess he served in India somewhere as I have an hand made embroidered blanket that he brought back with him and trying to place where that might have come from too.

Regards, Karen

11 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Karen,

7 minutes ago, KarenP said:

Hi,

Yes it is my grandfather.  I think I have one or two other pics if it helps.  I guess he served in India somewhere as I have an hand made embroidered blanket that he brought back with him and trying to place where that might have come from too.

Regards, Karen

Here's the other pics.   K

John Thos Pollard & Assoc.jpg

John Thomas Pollard (home).jpg

John Thomas Pollard's Medal Index Card, noting his entitlement to the British War Medal And the Victory Medal is here on Ancestry.  (It is free to view but you do need to sign in to Ancestry) You will note that the number is given as 105707. Could you double check you have read your book entry correctly please?

The extra info you found below in the book will be very helpful no doubt to research further...

13 minutes ago, KarenP said:
130 C.F.A.       
7TH IND. MEERUT DIVISION
E.E.F.    

edit good to see the other photos (before he earned his stripes)

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Karen

There are 2 War Diaries for 130 Indian Field Ambulance of 7 Indian (Meerut) Division on the Kew Discovery database.One is downloadable for a fee and the other needs to be read in situ at Kew:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/532e48d29d6a4e3b8554e59e8202f871

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7359943

4 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

John Thomas Pollard's Medal Index Card, noting his entitlement to the British War Medal And the Victory Medal is here on Ancestry.  (It is free to view but you do need to sign in to Ancestry) You will note that the number is given as 105707. Could you double check you have read your book entry correctly please?

The extra info you found below in the book will be very helpful

Charlie

I'll get back to you a.s.a.p.  Thanks

17 minutes ago, sotonmate said:

Karen

There are 2 War Diaries for 130 Indian Field Ambulance of 7 Indian (Meerut) Division on the Kew Discovery database.One is downloadable for a fee and the other needs to be read in situ at Kew:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/532e48d29d6a4e3b8554e59e8202f871

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7359943

Thanks so much for that information.  I'll buy the one you can.  When it says you can order a copy of the other one that is situated at Kew, Could you advise what I should be asking for?  Is it a record of his time or of his regiment?

Edited by KarenP

Just for your information, Karen, CFA stands for Combined Field Ambulance and here is an explanation I found from a book called Allenby's Military Medicine by Eran Dolev

CombinedFieldAmbulance.JPG.4c59f7e05eb27e4a13c732f56f8f29c3.JPG