Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sydney Morning Herald - 6th July 2009

Victoria Burbidge

The 'roos appear to be hopping around the paddock :P

What pi&&es me off very considerably about this article is that Grant Tiffett, Convenor of the Fromelles Discussion Group invokes the name of the Great War Forum to support his views saying that the GWF would support a certain course of action. I do not know what the Fromelles Discussion Group is , although Mr Tiffett claims that is is the "only platform to raise concerns about the rights of Australain war dead". Yeah, right.

Is it possible to display a greater arrogance? Or lack of understanding about the nature of internet discussion boards?. How does he have the brass neck to claim to speak on behalf of the many thousands of our members? Or, indeed, on behalf of the Forum's Trustees?

Does he post here under his own name or a user name? Has he invited us to discuss, debate and reach a consensus? Has he asked if he can then represent that consenus (if there was one) to the media on our behalf? Has he done any of these things openly? Of course, you already know the answer.

We're an internet discussion board not a single entity with a single view. Only I speak for me - and not some unknown bloke on the other side of the world, who does not know my or your views on this or any other subject, nor, clearly, does he care to find out what they are.

John

John,

Most interestingly, Grant Triffett and the Fromelles Discussion Group have labelled our research group (Fromelles Descendant Database) as "an appendage of the Great War Forum". This comment can be found in an article on their website.

I would therefore suggest that their reference to the Great War Forum in this latest publication presumably again refers to our research group.

On several occasions I have emailed Mr Triffett and politely advised him that his imagined affiliation between the two groups is totally incorrect and that there is no association other than several of us are members of the GWF (I also pointed out that several were members of the FFFAIF, Light Horse Forum, assorted genealogical societies and an Australian rules football club but that we were not appendages of any of these either).

I again emailed him today to reaffirm my stance that we are not affiliated with any other groups and in response Mr Triffett stated, "From my viewpoint "appendage" was appropriate and remains so." Apparantly, he knows more about our group than myself who founded the concept nearly two years ago.

As such, I have responded and suggested he makes at least a basic enquiry with the owners of the GWF to confirm what I have been trying to tell him but I doubt that he will do so because it appears he doesn't like to be proved wrong.

Strangely he intimated in his email that I was inappropriately privy to private communications between himself and Chris Bryett so I had to inform him that there not-so-private emails were publicly published on the website as both Mel and yourself have seen.

Furthermore, Mr Triffett had made claims about the beliefs and stance of various groups including ourselves (referencing us as the GWF) but has never bothered to actually ask us for an opinion. Where he gets his facts are somewhat questionable and highly fanciful.

Ultimately, the lack of foundation and obvious glaring errors that they refuse to acknowledge reflects very poorly upon the credibility of the information being put forth by the Fromelles Discussion Group and in my view suggests they are nothing more than hopeful conspiracy theorists.

Cheers,

Tim L.

I spent almost 40mins on the phone with Martial on Weds evening He is very upbeat about the progress, he went on at great length to assure me that everything is going well with the recovery, he told me about many of the personal items that have been recoverd and that all items conected with remains are logged to that person. He seems more than pleased with the profesionalism of the team doing the recovery. He explained in some detail how the drainage system has been set up and is working fine, with the help of the local farmers I may add. Suffice to say, by the time I came off the phone I had calmed down somewhat ! There was a lot more said between us, I did once again make my views known about the way things had been dealt with, but what was said would take too long to put up on here. All things considerd though I was much happier by the time I put the phone back on the reciever, Amen !

Colin Stalgis

What pi&&es me off very considerably about this article is that Grant Tiffett, Convenor of the Fromelles Discussion Group invokes the name of the Great War Forum to support his views saying that the GWF would support a certain course of action. I do not know what the Fromelles Discussion Group is , although Mr Tiffett claims that is is the "only platform to raise concerns about the rights of Australain war dead". Yeah, right.

John

I remain a great admirer of your righteous indignation :)

Mel

I do like a subject that is a bit controversial and it was always likely that Fromelles would be such.

I have to agree that if you have a tender process and spec it properly, you have to go with the lowest quote - especially when public money is concerned.

I think we have to trust that a good job is being done for those blokes.

I still think we will be visiting a new cemetery some time pretty soon with a good number of known graves.

John Hartley,

Bravo! (massive delete of ribald and slanderous text directed at plonkers that would have got me banned from the GWF)

Tim L, Unfortuantely you can't reason with ...............

Such a pity that the efforts of the Fromelles Discussion Group in constantly (apparently) emailing politicians and others is not better used in finding the next group of missing.

Cheers,

Hendo

On behalf of GWF Ltd. might I state that GWF Ltd. has no connection with, or affiliation to, any of the organisations or individuals referred to in this thread, or to any individual or organisation involved at Fromelles. Mr. Triffett is incorrect in his assumptions and assertions.

The views expressed on this forum are those of individual contributors and do not necessarily correspond to the views of other members or the trustees of GWF Ltd.

The GWF Trustees are considering the comments made elsewhere and, when further information is received, will take any appropriate action.

Thanks for the link, Mel.

Just goes to show one shouldnt always believe what one reads in the newspapers. Not often one sees an unreserved apology from the press. And, hopefully, the professionals can now be allowed to get on with doing their job.

Mel,

Thank you for the link, but unfortunately I doubt this has been repeated in the newspapers, rather than just this online newsgroup "australia.to". So much of the damage done to the publics perception of the good work of Oxford Archeology and the "bureaucrats" will remain.

Nevertheless I am glad to see that Oxford Archeology defended their reputation and do agree with JH that the professionals be allowed to get on with the job, instead of having to counter disingenuous and uninformed gossip.

Kindest,

Hendo

instead of having to counter disingenuous and uninformed gossip.

There seems to have been a lot around. One has to wonder if the attacks on "current arrangements" having simply been as you describe or if disinformation has been spread about for, say, commercial interests. Or am I danger of being as bad as those I criticise in seeing a conspiracy? ;)

I think there might be an element of truth in that John.

Several weeks ago we had the newspaper article criticising the DNA schedule and talking up a particular forensics company as an alternative. This did seem a little odd and suggested a commercial interest.

From there a journalist has apparantly used quite a lot of licence based on very little fact to describe some minor occurances at the site itself and spin them into a developing catastrophe of monumental proportions.

Unfortunately, this reporting has then been seized upon by Mr Triffett and his Fromelles Discussion Group as an absolute truth to help feed his insatiable desire to criticise and alledge governmental conspiracy at every opportunity.

Cheers,

Tim L.

I think there might be an element of truth in that John.

With my deduction skills, I shoulda been a copper. Or not. :D

Have a troll around that australia.to site and you will find some other wonderful conspiracies.