Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ieper Motorway

Mark Hone

A visit to No Man's Cot cemetery last week, almost directly in the path of the dreaded A19 extension, inevitably prompted me to enquire if our Belgian friends have any updates on the proposed development.

Mark,

Sorry, I have no news re the motorway.

Which does not mean that there isn't any. Just that I don't know of any ...

Aurel

There was an interesting article on it in this months "Archeology" magazine. It seems that the gent heading up the project was very dissapointed to have to deal with something so 'recent', and how he has since come around to respecting the work that has to be done.

Good (albiet light) article presenting both sides of the discussion. I'm doing this from memory, but I believe tha they put forward a position that the battlegrounds must be preserved, but now it is up to the town council.

marc

... but I believe tha they put forward a position that the battlegrounds must be preserved, but now it is up to the town council.

marc

The decision to build (or not) the motorway will be made by the Flemish government, not the Ypres town council.

If I'm not mistaken the repports of the archaeological work will be made public around this period. I have no idea where and how though. Most of it was summarised in the exhibition catalogue of the 'loop!graven' project set up by Alfa, the archaeological society of the university of Leuven.

I'm willing to provide copies, though all is in dutch.

regards,

Bert.