Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Horace Smith-Dorrien

Bernard_Lewis

Looking at A*e Books I see a print on demand version of 'Isandlwhana to the Great War' by HS-D. Brand new, 500+ pages. Is this a reprint of his long out of print and very expensive (though worth it) '48 years service...' (or similar title). If it is I can't imagine why they changed the title and I wouldn't have thought thet HS-D would have written TWO large books covering much the same ground.

I'll soon know - I've ordered it at £20 including postage. Worth a punt. It takes a few weeks as its POD in the USA, I think. If this is news to Forum members (I tried searching) I'll update you when it arrives.

Bernard

Keep us informed please

Arm

Just had a look myself. It does seem to be the 48 years book from what it implies in the title. so thought I would check Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smith-Dorrien-Isan...4012&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smith-Dorrien-Isan...4012&sr=1-2

Both soft and hard copy available. May have to raid the piggy bank...sssh don't tell Trudie.

Regards

Arm

I also spotted a long wanted, out of print (and too expensive) book on a social history topic on sale on A*e Books and sourced from an Oxfam shop!

£19 including postage and its shown in other bookesller entries at £100+. Ordered yesterday and Oxfam have sent it today, apparently :0)

A good day's armchair shopping!

Bernard

There's a section from the book - here - reads well - think I might try to get a copy - £££££s permitting!

Looking at A*e Books I see a print on demand version of 'Isandlwhana to the Great War' by HS-D. Brand new, 500+ pages. Is this a reprint of his long out of print and very expensive (though worth it) '48 years service...' (or similar title). If it is I can't imagine why they changed the title and I wouldn't have thought thet HS-D would have written TWO large books covering much the same ground.

I'll soon know - I've ordered it at £20 including postage. Worth a punt. It takes a few weeks as its POD in the USA, I think. If this is news to Forum members (I tried searching) I'll update you when it arrives.

Bernard

It arrived today and it is a reprint of 'Memories of 48 years service'.

Paperback, 559 pages, illustrated (a bit blurry), no index.

Starts with the Zulu War and also covers India, Egypt (Omdurman), South Africa etc. Gets to the Great War at page 415! But he had a h*ll of a career before that (he was born in 1858). Goes out of his way not to criticise French but lets a couple of contemporary letters do some of the talking. Looks well worth a read so I'm quite happy.

Bernard

Ordered mine through Amazon on the GWF link - delivered in 3 days.

A cracking read - what a career the man had even before WW1!