Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

25956 Pte John Hyde Manchester Regiment

ddavemanc

Hi Pals

I've just bought a medal pair to 25956 pte John Hyde Manchester Regiment and was looking through his service papers on ancestry. Dont know if i have read it right but im sure it says POW at the bottom of the 3rd page????? It maybe army abbreviations for something completly different.Is there anywhere else i can look to see if im right or not??

Look forward to your replys

Regards

Dave

Having had a quick look I’d say you’re definitely correct…

Reported missing then confirmed POW 14th March 1917, Repatriated 22nd December 1918.

Detail of page 2 of service record...

ce673050.jpg

Having had a quick look I'd say you're definitely correct…

Reported missing then confirmed POW 14th March 1917, Repatriated 22nd December 1918.

Thanks for the quick reply Wesley

Is there anywhere on the web i can look to see what camp he would of been taken too?

Thanks

Dave

Can’t answer that one I’m afraid Dave… the only POW I’ve researched so far had the name of the camp documented in his service record, otherwise I’m not sure that I could have found it out!

NA documents WO 161 contains records of POWs, but as to what details and how complete these records are I cannot say having never had cause to use them – someone here will know though I’m sure. Just wait until the morning, then there’ll be an expert along… :D

Can't answer that one I'm afraid Dave… the only POW I've researched so far had the name of the camp documented in his service record, otherwise I'm not sure that I could have found it out!

NA documents WO 161 contains records of POWs, but as to what details and how complete these records are I cannot say having never had cause to use them – someone here will know though I'm sure. Just wait until the morning, then there'll be an expert along… :D

Thanks again Wesley

Another night owl like me, Dont you just love the night shift.

Dave