Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lemberg Fortifications

MLW

Does anyone have any information about the fortifications at Lemberg - such as number of forts, design, period of construction?

As far as I know, the Austrian-Hungarian Army also built ring forts at Cracow and Przemysl to protect northernn Galicia. Yet, despite there being several battles for Lemberg,

The official Austrian history ("Österreich-Ungarns letzter Krieg 1914-1918, Volume I") gives only few details about the fortifications:

The forts were built in 1887, improved and rebuilt in 1912 ("Crisis year").

It consisted of a belt of earthworks with concrete fittings, forming a large ring with a diameter of 48km around the city.

It is stated that there are only 28 guns available, in case of emergency the field army had to reinforce the defence.

Thanks for the information. As scant as that description is, it is much more than I have seen from other books about WWI. Cheers, Marc

There are some more information in the text, i will try to get the extracts summarized here.

I'm sorry for that I can only write it down piecemeal, but as I'm writing my exams the days, I have not enough time to read through the whole book at the moment <_<

Commander of the fortifications was Major-General Friedrich Gostischa,

his forces according to mobilisation plan consisted of

2 baons of 'Landsturm' Infantry Regiment 19 (from the 93th 'Landsturm' Brigade) - 2,000

1st and 2nd companies of fortress artillery regiment 9 - 516

4 'Landsturm' artillery detachments - 808

1st and 2nd pioneer companies (pioneer regiment 11) - 520

one 'Landsturm' sapper detachment - 203

making 4,047 men (without officers) total strength

Thanks. Whatever information you can provide will be of great help, and certainly take your time. Austro-Hungarian source material is rare in the US. Good luck on your exams! Cheers, Marc

• 2 weeks later...

This map shows the recapture of Lemberg by Austro-German forces on 22. June 1915.

The circles show the positions of the fortifications. I dont think that the Russians had had enough time to improve the defence perimeter,

thus all those forts should be pre-war-built.

Source: "Österreich-Ungarns letzter Krieg 1914-1918. Beilagen Band II. Das Kriegsjahr 1915, 1.Teil" (Vienna, 1931)

I will try to get some detailed accounts of single fortifications, but i am afraid that most of the facts I reminded myself of, were about bridgeheads Jaroslau, Siniewa and fortress Przemysl.

post-37196-1247905144.jpg

Thank you very much. That is the first map I have seen of the Lemberg forts. Very helpful. Regards, Marc