Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Father and Son death

Len Trim

Hi all,

father and son lie side by side in Dartmoor Cemetery, Becordel-Becourt. Both killed 5th September 1916. Could anyone briefly tell me what action this unit was taking part in? For the purposes of a school trip it is a very interesting cemetery because it also contains the grave of Henry Webber the oldest UK soldier to die in WW1.

Thanks for any help.

Len

Also buried here are a father and son, who lie side by side in Plot 1 Row A. They are 44 year old Serjeant George Lee and 19 year old Corporal Robert Lee. Both served with 'A' Battery of the 156th Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery, and both died in the same incident on the 5th of September 1916. One can only imagine the terrible news for the family in Peckham, with Frances Lee losing a husband and son on the same day.

http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/somme/becourt.html

A picture on the web site. Click to enlarge

Cheers

Atnomis

Corporal Robert Lee 71939

A Battery 156th Bde Royal Field Artillery

Died on 5th September 1916 aged 19

Son of Sergeant and Frances Lee, of 16, Talfourd Rd., Peckham Rd., London.

Sergeant George Lee 6029

A Battery 156th Bde Royal Field Artillery

Died on 5th September 1916 aged 44

Husband of Frances Lee, of 16 Talfourd Rd, Peckham Rd London

Does anyone know if they were killed at the same time (maybe by the same shell) or were they hours/minutes apart ?

If killed at seperate times then it must have been terrible for the surviving man to continue his duty...

Neil

Len,

You could get the National Archives to copy the Battery War Diary for 5th September 1916, as this is a sad an unusal occurance it may be mentioned.

David

The Father and son where serving with the 155th Brigade Royal Field Artillery and A Battery was situated around Beacourt area, the War dairy confirms this. The monthly Brigade casualties return form confirms on the 5th September 4 men killed and two officers. All the men expect one Officer where A battery men. So I have came to the conclusion that a searching German Shell must of been to blame. The Lee`s where from Camberwell area of London and I am unable to obtain photographs but this must of been local newspaper headlines. Hope this helps you as it is a story that I and fellow forum member cockeytone take an interest. The cemetery it self has a VC winner Father and Son, Shot at dawn and the oldest soldier to die. Very unique.

Regards,

Phil

I paid my respects at their grave last week, two of the group I was taking round were father and son so it really did bring home the tragedy of war, All graves within the cemetery are important as they are all brave men in their own right however to point out a few other graves that may be worth highlighting to a school party whilst visiting the cemetery - Pte James Miller of the KORL is buried here, he won the VC in July 1916 (Plot 1, Row C, Grave 64) and also a NZ Soldier of the Otago Regiment, Pte J. Sweeney who was executed for desertion in September 1916, he lies buried in Plot 2, Row B, Grave 1.

An old friend of mine rescued their medals and plaques from a junk shop many years ago. I seem to remember he discovered they had been killed by the same shell, at the same gun.

Paul would you be able to post a photograph of the plaque and medals? Really interested in the Lee story.

Regards,

Phil