Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifleman William Edward Charity

Guest milvus

Rifle W E Charity (Gt Uncle) was in the 12 th batallion Kings Royal Rifle Corps and died at Rouen Hospital 31/12/17.

Any info on the exact whereabouts of his battalion (Cambrai??) would be apprciate.

Please visit

www.milvus.btinternet.co.uk

info I have collected so far

Thanks

Howard

Howard

The 11th & 12th KRRC suffered heavy casualties during the German counter-attack at Cambrai on 30th November 1917. Since your man probably died of wounds, given where he is buried, I suppose it's quite likely that this is where and when he was wounded.

I've got the 20th Division's history - somewhere - and the Official History and will take a look at them to see if there's any more information.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Howard

I have researched the 6th K.S.L.I., which was in the same Brigade. In the attack of 20th Nov. the 12th K.R.R.C. were in the first wave and on the Brigades left, while the 6h K.S.L.I. were in second wave and on the right, I have map refs. for the K.S.L.I. which would give you a guide to the line of attack of the K.R.R.C. plus I can give you some details of their part in the Battle and that of the German counter-attack.

Regards

Annette

The 12th were at Marcoing (just south of Cambrai on the canal & river) on the first day of the battle (Nov 20th) with 'A' batallion tanks.

I'm also researching a 12th KRRC (Pte Edward Lee). Reported KIA 2 december 1917.

I assume they were also underattack on that date as a newspaper report quotes a battalion chaplain's letter to the family "He did a very brave thing just before he was killed. Jumping out of the trench an drunning along with the bombs, which he threw on the heads of german bombers who were working their way along the trench in which we were. it was due to his devotion and that of a few other men that we were able to hold our positions"

I'd welcome any info that can place where the action took place.

John

B)

Hi John

Are you sure he was 12th K.R.R.C. ? The 12th were relieved on the night of 1st Dec., along with rest of 60th Brigade, by the 183rd Brigade. According to 20th Div. History, the Germans made bombing attack on the 10th and 11th K.R.R.C., North-east of La Vacquerie, on the 2nd Dec., gaining a footing in the trench. Counter attacks almost cleared the trench but the bombs ran out and the line had to be withdrawn.

The K.R.R.C. Chronicle for 1917 records that most the 10th KRRC had been killed or captured on the 30th Nov. and what was left moved into support and for the 11th KRRC it only records the events of the 30th Nov. and just recording that the battalion was relieved on the night of the 2nd Dec.

Or the date of his death is in correct. An accout of the 12th KRRC on the 1st Dec. is very like that quoted in newspaper report ?

Regards

Annette

John and Howard just let me know if you want more details, I do have a map of area involved but I do not have a scanner and would have to send it snail-mail.

Annette