The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British Army uniform, need your opinions please!

Pluto

Hello,

Below is a picture of my Grandfather (he is the seated gentleman) that I believe comes from the period of the First World War. He died long before I was born. We have this photo of him in uniform but no information on service/regiment/dates. Nothing. I have contacted the national archives but have been told most of the records of the First World War were destroyed in 1940 during the Blitz.

What I have been able to discover so far is:

1. It appears both men are wearing the pattern 1903 bandolier.

2. The man standing may have four overseas service chevrons on his arm

3. The man standing is wearing mounted breeches and they are wearing spurs (I assume this means a mounted unit)

4. Lastly, the cap badge on both men may(?) be from the machine gun corps. It is the closest I could find.

I would be very grateful for any feedback from members regarding this photo with respect to identifying or confirming any elements of it.

My sincere thanks.

post-47388-1246378480.jpg

I would say you are spot on with your information you have garnered from the photograph both men wear riding breeches and are equipped with mounted soldier accoutrements.

The British Army was at the time reliant on horses and most units had a mounted element in support

Hello Pluto

they are almost certainly Machine Gun Corps Cavalry judging by the spurs, bandoliers and capbadges.

Post your Grandfather's name and I am sure someone will be able to provide some more information. His Medal Index Card should give you his service number at least.

Good luck

Ian

Regret to disagree that they are MGC Cavalry - they are not wearing MGC/C titles (but this is not utterly conclusive). I am more inclined to say that they are from the Transport Section of an MGC infantry company.

The picture was also taken in 1918 or later as the soldier on the left is wearing four overseas service stripes; these stripes were not instituted until 1918 and indicate service in 1915, 1916, 1917 and 1918. Grandfather has none - which may suggest home service only, or that as of the actual date of the photograph he had not gone overseas.

As Ian suggests, the MIC may cast more light - but if he only served in UK he may well not have one.

Are you sure they aren't crossed swords under a crown.

Are you sure they aren't crossed swords under a crown.

That is a possibility as it is very hard to discern the fine details. What unit would have a crossed swords and a crown?

The only unit that wears crossed swords and a crown is the Physical Training Corps, and that wasn't formed until 1940. Almost certainly machine gun Corps.

However there was abadge of crossed Rifles worn by staff at the school of musketery until 1923

Tony P

Hi,

If you tell us your grandfather's name we should be able to identify the unit quite easily.

All the best,

John

That is a possibility as it is very hard to discern the fine details. What unit would have a crossed swords and a crown?

Sharpened it up a bit, they are definitely Machine Gun Corps.

Retlaw.

post-47020-1246485912.jpg

The only unit that wears crossed swords and a crown is the Physical Training Corps, and that wasn't formed until 1940. Almost certainly machine gun Corps.

However there was abadge of crossed Rifles worn by staff at the school of musketery until 1923

Tony P

The APTC was formed in 1860 as the Army Gymnastic Staff. It was renamed the Army Physical Training Staff in 1918 and was given its present corps status by Army Order 165 in 1940.

Mick

Although the knowledge of Corps and Departments isn't relevent now because it they has been identified as MGC.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

It has been confirmed that my Grandfather was in the machine gun corps. I found the death certificate of an aunt from May, 1918. Under the section "Name, Surname & Rank or Profession of Father" is listed his name, followed by "Private, Machine Gun Corps". I used ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk to find it (and many others from my family).

I would like to thank everyone for their assistance.