Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Philip Wyndham Brodie, RAF

jimmyjames

This officer is commemorated on the Cheltenham War Memorial. He was commissioned into the Seaforth Highlanders in 1907 and promoted Captain in 1915. I have yet to discover when he tansferred to the RAF or if he had any service in the RFC.

He was serving in Italy when he died of illness in November 1918 (CWGC state 13th November, contemporary newspaper reports suggest 13th November).

I would be extremely grateful for any details of his service with the RAF (and RFC), particularly the unit in which he was serving at the time of his death.

Regards

Jimmy

This might be of help

No 263 Squadron was formed on 27 September 1918, in southern Italy form Nos 359, 435, 436 and 441 Flights at the former RNAS station at Otranto and its sub-station at Santa Maria de Leuca. For the rest of the war, it flew anti-submarine patrols over the Straits of Otranto to prevent U-boats passing into the Mediterranean from the Austro-Hungarian ports on the Adriatic. It was disbanded on 16 May 1919. 42 Sqn also went to the Italian front in 1917

Perce

Jimmy

Unfortunately, 'Airmen Died' covers those members of the air services who died up to and including 11 November 1918, so Capt Brodie is outside its scope. As an ex-Army man, I think it's likely that he would have been in one of the units of the RAF's 14th Wing, ie Wing Headquarters at Dosson, No 28 Sqn at Sarcedo, No 34 Sqn at San Luca, No 66 Sqn at San-Pietro-in-Gu, No 139 Sqn at Arcade, Nos 7 and 33 Kite Balloon Sections or No 7 Aircraft Park.

Not much help, I'm afraid.

Many thanks, Perce and Dolphin.

I got the dates muddled in the original post - CWGC states 13th, newspapers 18th.

However, he was buried in Taranto Town Cemetery, perhaps this may help to identify his unit.

Regards

Jimmy

The following RAF units were based in Taranto on 11 November 1918.

From the RAF Mediterranean District:

Headquarters No 6 (Adriatic Group)

Headquarters 67th Wing and two squadrons in that Wing

No 227 Sqn (forming)

No 271 Sqn (357, 358 and 367 Flights - Short 184 seaplanes)

From the 63rd Wing, No 226 Sqn Headquarters.

From RAF Italy:

No 7 (Taranto) Port Detachment.

I hope this helps.

Hi Dolphin

Indeed it does help. Many thanks, as usual, for your prompt replies and the quality of your info.

I still have 4 or 5 RFC/RAF officers commemorated on the Cheltenham Memorial that require researching and I'll post their details in the fullness of time.

Regards

Jimmy

PS. As an aside, do you live anywhere near Burwood, NSW

Jimmy

I look forward to passing on whatever information I have.

I live about 30 minutes drive from the Sydney suburb of Burwood, so I'm very close (by Australian standards). Oddly, the route to Burwood would take me through Cheltenham, NSW.

Can I provide local assistance in something?

Cheers

Hi Dolphin

I have PM'd you.

Regards

Jimmy