Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help required MC and London Gazette

steelbonnet

I am researching Capt. later L/Col. Joseph Patrick McGREEHIN MC R.A.M.C. a medical Doctor from Glasgow.

Even with this unusual name the Gazette only comes up with all his promotions etc., the later ones in the1930,s have MC as a post nominal. There is also no mention of his two MiDs the certificates are dated 7/11/ and 8/11/1817.

Can anyone help with searching the Gazette or help find Citation elsewhere?

MC Citation, London Gazette #31119, 11th January 1919. Link to it is Here

T./Capt. Joseph Patrick McGreehin, M.B., R.A.M.C., attd. 4th Bn., R. Fus.

While proceeding to assembly positions he was knocked over by a large piece of shell and badly shaken. Nevertheless he pushed on and established his O.P. behind a bank. Unfortunately, unknown to him, it was in the vicinity of a water point, and was very accurately shelled all day and finally hit. In spite of this, he worked on with the greatest courage, dressing with care all the wounded, and in one case amputating a foot.

Regards

Steve

One of his MIDs, London Gazette #30445, 24th December 1917. Link is Here

McGreehin, Capt. J. P.

Regards

Steve

e

Thanks for the quick reply Steve, next step will to beto find an exact date and I can check his own diary which I have

Gordon.

• 9 years later...
2 hours ago, Dan Owens said:

Hi, I am related to Joseph Patrick McGreehin and would be interested to hear what you have found in your research. Dan Owens

Hi,

The OP hasn’t been on the forum since Jan 2018 so I’ve sent him a private message to alert him to your post.

If he hasn’t changed the email he registered with when he joined the forum he ought to receive the message.

Steve

Hi,

His MC was awarded for his actions on the 30th/31st August 1918, to the west of Ecoust.

image.png.144f8a8fc7afacd3fa07786a1505c6b4.png

Image source: The National Archives

Regards

Chris