Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No. 13 Naval Squadron R.N.A.S.

KAYJAY

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me some information about 13 Naval Squadron R.N.A.S.

I am trying to research one of the Pilots Captain George Chisholme Mackay who I believe was an 18 Victory Ace. I think he was wounded about September 1917.

I believe he was awarded the D.F.C. but I don't know the date.

He was also awarded the Legion of Honour, Order of Leopold and Croix De Guerre all on 08/02/19.

Was this a Camel Squadron ? Did it become 213 Squadron R.A.F ?.

Any information about the man or the Squadron would be much appreciated.

Ken.

Hi Ken:

Name: George Chisholme MacKay

Service: Royal Naval Air Service, Royal Air Force

Units: 13N (RNAS) and 213 (RAF)

Victories: 18

Born: 17 May 1898

Place of Birth: Toronto, Ontario

Died: 04 September 1973

Place of Death: Mimico, Ontario

Awards: DFC, Légion d'Honneur (France) and Croix de Guerre (France)

Also from your clan:

Name: Harry William MacKintosh MacKay

Service: Royal Flying Corps

Unit: 18

Victories: 5

Place of Birth: Aberdeen

Died: 06 March 1918 (KIA)

Cemetery: Aire Communal Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France

Garth

Hi Garth,

Thanks for the Info on George Chisholme. Yes I am aware of Harry William Mackintosh Mackay.

Here is some info for you on him.

Promoted from Pte. 1644 4th Gordon Highlanders,

2/Lt. 22/11/15, (6th Gordons) Lt. 01/07/17,

Seconded to R.F.C. Aa Flying Officer Observer 30/12/17,

He was with No 18 Squadron flying D.H.4's when he was killed.

He shared 5 Victories with Lt. D.A. Stewart on 06/03/18 which was the date he was killed.

He was aged 20 when he died and was the son of William Mackay (The Editor of the "North British Agriculturalist"), Edinburgh and Mrs Janet Mackay of 23 Morningside Park, Edinburgh. He was born in Aberdeen.

Incidently a few years ago when I collected medals named to Mackays I used to own his memorial Plaque.

Ken.

Ken,

to answer the first part of your question, No.13 Squadron RNAS came into existance as the Seaplane Defence Flight on the 30th June 1917, based at St. Pol (an outlying suberb of Dunkerque). Initally flew Sopwith Pups. The decision to use land based fighters against enemy seaplanes was taken because our seaplanes were not up to the job in terms of performanace and armament.

Became the Seaplane Defence Squadron on 23rd September 1917, also converted to Sopwith Camels about this time. Their most famous pilot was the Canadian ace, Raymond Collishaw who was posted to the squadron after a period of "Canadian Leave", Collishaw became CO for a brief period before moving on to a more glamourous appointment at No.3 Squadron RNAS.

Redesignated No.13 Squadron RNAS on 15th January 1918.

Became 213 squadron RAF on April Fools day 1918. Disbanded 31st December 1918.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information, do you know if there is a unit history as a pilot with 18 victories would surely be mentioned in it.

Ken.

Ken,

there are a number of pathetic unit histories held at the National Archives at Kew, these tend to be just one or two pages of foolscap (at least the ones that I have looked at) and are not a great deal of use, at least, not for serious research.

The squadron daily operations record book will be held at Kew, and I believe is relatively complete from about August onwards. I have not looked at the record for 13 Squadron, but if it follows the the other squadrons, it will be a record of every flight made, with details of victory claims, losses, new aircraft deliveries, etc.

There will also be CITARs - Combat In The Air Reports - again, I don't know if the 13 Squadron ones are all there or not.

You might like to buy or borrow a copy of "Above The Trenches", by Franks, Shores and Guest, published by Grub Street. This lists all the combat claims of the fighter aces of the British Empire Air Services and GC Mackay has his half a page in there. You need to be careful as there are numerous typos, incorrect serials, and dates throughout the book, not surprising if you consider how much data the authors have packed in there.

There have been several features on 13/213 in both the US version and British version of Cross and Cockade, and from memory, I'm sure GCM is mentioned in at least one of them. Museums such as the RAF museum and the Fleet Air Arm Museum keep full sets of these journals.

GCM's RNAS entry and training details will be in the ADM273 files at Kew, and as he served in the RAF there will be something on the Air 76 microfilms. The Naval List and Air Force List will also mention him.

His medal commentations will most probably be listed in the London Gazette archives, these can be accessed on-line but are a pain in the bum to search through, their search engine is a law unto itself!

That should be enough for you to be going on with!

Mike

Ken just discovered this from Air Britain:

The Hornet Strikes

History of No.213 Squadron - by Frank M. Leeson

No.213 Squadron started life as the Seaplane Defence Flight on the coast of Flanders and progressed to Pups and Camels for the rest of the Great War. Reformed in March 1937, it again became a single seat fighter squadron and retained this role throughout the second World War and in the post-war years.

First equipped with Gauntlets, it replaced these with Hurricanes which it flew in France, during the Battle of Britain, with the Desert Air Force in Cyprus, Egypt and Libya, re-equipped with Spitfires then Mustangs, and flying in Italy until the end of the war. As part of the Middle East Air Force, it received first Tempests and then Vampires before being disbanded in September 1954. Its final re-incarnation was as a Canberra equipped interdiction unit in Germany until disbanded in December 1969.

Written by one of the pilots of the squadron, this is a detailed account of the life and times of a fighter squadron and is copiously illustrated.

I have not seen the book, but I would warn than many books of this type dispose of the WW1 part of a squadron's history in little more than a paragraph! I would advise caution before parting with any money.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry for not answering you before, but we are having our bathroom redone and I have had to pull all my books out of their usual cupboard and I do have a copy of above the trenches but I can't get to it at the moment.

Hopefully all the work will be done by the middle of next week and I will be able to refer to it then.

I am aware that he was a Canadian fron Toronto and that he died there in Mimico on 04/10/1973.

As I live in Scotland I have never had a chance to visit Kew.

Checking through some of my other records he appers to have Joined up at Crystal Palace on 19/04/1917 and went to Cranwell on 17/07/1917 was wounded on 15/09/1918.

Your information was much appreciated and I will contact you next week.

Regards Ken.

I am trying to research one of the Pilots Captain George Chisholme Mackay....I believe he was awarded the D.F.C. but I don't know the date.

Ken,

Lieutenant George Chishome MacKay awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross in the London Gazette of June 3rd 1918, King's birthday honours for distinguished service. No citation.

Rgds,

Alex.