The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt Gerald Wallace ADAM

GrahamC

This Officer appears on our local War Memorial and died, aged 20, on 10 August 1919 when part of the British force sent to fight the Bolsheviks. He is commemorated on the Archangel Memorial

John has more of his story - here.

His CWGC record says he was Mentioned in Despatches - can any pal out there find out for me when and why, please?

Graham

Graham

You should find the MiD by a search of the London Gazette site.

Anything in the Buxton newspaper about his death? As you'll have seen from the website, it's a bit of mystery.

John

Graham

This is from notices section of The Manchester Guardian of 16th August 1919:

DIED WHILST ON ACTIVE SERVICE

ADAM.- On August 10, of dysentry, on active service in Northern Russia, Second Lieutenant GERALD WALLACE ADAM, 13th Yorkshire Regiment, the dearly loved and only son of Mr & Mrs John W Adam, of Lee Wood Hotel, Buxton, late of Southfield, Clifton Road, Heaton Moor.

Aled

Hi John

Have tried the Gazette search page, but coming up with nothing likely.

He's one of those in my post to which you replied in the Cemeteries section. The Memorial almost certainly lists him as 'C' but could be a G on a good day with the wind in the right direction! and this is the only record that fits - though I can find no link to Buxton, unless his dad moved there - he was a Solicitor so could have moved office.

I am slowly going through the Buxton Advertiser, but have only got to 1916 at the moment. Lots of other lines of enquiry, when I finally get to him. Pheww, its hard work in the sun, isn't it?

All the best

Graham

Carmania

Brilliant - solved it. That's the Buxton link. The Leewood Hotel is still there, it's just round the corner and we eat there frequently. Maybe at the time it was taking retirees - will keep looking.

Thanks again

Graham