Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

shot at dawn

Guest hagar

I have come across General Orders which part of it relates to the execution of two soldiers Downing and Burton of 6th South Lancs Regiment 1917 in Mesopitamia.

What Im trying to decipher is the badge on the orders. It does not seem to relate to the 6th Batt' South Lancs. Is the badge on orders likely to be that of the General Staff? and not the regiment. The date is 1917 and the OIC responsible is Gen.Maude. Is it a Provost badge? Any ideas?

Other info on the soldiers would be appreciated to add to a general info board.

Just trying to help out a mate at the R B Legion Village at Maidstone. so please excuse my terminology if incorrect.

Cheers K

Could you describe this badge please,K ?

By the way,they were both executed on 19th February 1917 for sleeping at their posts,they were buried at Bassouia and are commemorated on the Basra Memorial.

Dave.

Thanks for your possible help dave,

From what I can see the badge appears to have a rounded or oval circle with possible beasts each side with a 'wing'at the bottom each side.

The wing is curved down with serrated curves on the underside.

Only the lower part of the design is visible.

The General Orders referred to were found in the papers of a Royal British Legion tenant at their village and other members of the place would like to decipher the badge to support the presentation of the privates and other charges/punishments that I have found explained on this great site.

Thanks for your time and the info supplied,

Kev.