Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of the Lys

markl

My great grandfather was killed in this battle and I plan to visit the area later this year.

Can anyone advise me of places to visit guides maps etc?

Part of the battlefield is in the main Ypres Salient area covered by books such as the Holts' Guide, which also includes a good map, unfortunately not covering the whole of the 1918 battlefield. The southern area around Neuve Chapelle is detailed in 'Before Endeavours Fade' by Rose Coombs (see latest updated edition). I don't think there is a Battleground Europe book about the Lys battles (although one is probably being written!). Their Neuve Chapelle book looks only at the 1915 fighting. I did a Lys battlefield tour a few years ago and we visited Neuve Chapelle (including the Portuguese Cemetery), Ploegsteert, Bailleul/Meteren, Nieuwkerke and Mount Kemmel. It is possible to get a good idea of the German progress and how close they came to unhinging the whole British position south of Ypres.

The 2nd Worcesters stand at Nieuwkerke is well-described in 'Salient Points 3' by Spagnoly and Smith and also in the original 'Battleground Europe' book by Nigel Cave.

With which unit did your great-grandfather serve?

I believe Spagnoly and Smith have written a book called "A Walk Round Kemmel Hill", which from the title is sure to feature the 1918 battles for the Hill. Anyone seen this book on sale yet, or know of a release date?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I am sure I will be able to plan a couple of interesting days around it.

My G Grandfather served with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment (Birmingham Pals)

Ballieul is a jolly nice little town to stay in, near all the places you need. I remember the Belle Hotel as a comfy night and pleasant breakfast.

PS Sorry about my spelling - Mark & Paul pick it up below!

Mark-Have you seen forum member Terry Carter's excellent book on the Birmingham Pals?

I would also recommend Bailleul. It has a lovely CWGC Cemetery near the town centre, a ruined bulding as a memorial to the war and is not far from the beautiful hilltop town of Cassel with World War One connections and a great cafe/restaurant t'Kastellhof with a superb view.

Ballieul is a jolly nice little town to stay in, near all the places you need. I remember the Belle Hotel as a comfy night and pleasant breakfast.

Would certainly agree with that; Bailleul is an excellent and much under-rated base for battlefield visitors.

We used to use the Belle Hotel on our small group tours and found it very good indeed; staff friendly and helpful, and breakfast very good. Nice and central, with good, secure parking as well.

Which battalion of the Royal Warwicks was he in by the way? During the Battle of the lys, the Pals' battalions, who had just come back from Italy with 5th Division were involved in fighting around Merville, south-west of Bailleul. I don't know if there's anything to see there.

Under the 5th Division two different royal Warwickshire Bn served until 30 April 1918; the 16th Bn on the far right wing reporting to 15th Brigade and on the far left wing the 14th Bn, reporting to 13th Brigade.