Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Died at Gallipoli 1965!

PeterH

From: http://www.anzacsite.gov.au/2visiting/tourasia.html

There is also the grave of an Australian Gallipoli veteran, Basil Wood, who died on a visit in 1965.

Ironic that he passed away eventually at the scene of his WW1 service.

His details from the First World War Embarkation Roll:

William Basil Wood

Service number: 1324

Roll title: 17 Infantry Battalion (May 1915)

Conflict: First World War, 1914-1918

Date of embarkation: 12 May 1915

Place of embarkation: Sydney

Ship embarked on: HMAT Themistocles

Ship number: A32

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing!

Is he actually interred there, or is it a memorial plaque?

It's just that the word grave was used and I am now intrigued.

Cheers,

Blair

Thanks for the feedback.

So it was Basil Wood Bourne not Basil Wood.

From the AWM

Basil Wood Bourne

Service number: 1934

Roll title: 3 FAB [Field Artillery Brigade] (September 1914)

Conflict: First World War, 1914-1918

Date of embarkation: 20 October 1914

Place of embarkation: Hobart

Ship embarked on: HMAT Geelong

Ship number: A2

Later Lieutnant with 4th Division Artillery,returned to Australia 16/10/1918.

• 11 months later...
Amazing!

Is he actually interred there, or is it a memorial plaque?

It's just that the word grave was used and I am now intrigued.

Cheers,

Blair

I've just visited Chanak Consular Cemetery at Canakkale and attach a photo of the grave of Basil Wood Bourne. As can be seen, he is interred there alongside two New Zealand women who were on their way to visit the battlefields in 1965 when, according to Taylor and Cupper, Gallipoli, A Battlefield Guide, the car in which they were passengers collided with a truck near Lapseki. The cemetery is a beautiful and restful spot. It is locked but a key is held by a woman across the road and you only have to wait outside for a few moments and someone will appear to let you in. It was a most memorable visit.

Judy

Very touching Judy ,a special place for many reasons this is just one of many

Thanks MC

From the very first edition of the journal of The Gallipoli Association; The Gallipolian (Christmas 1969)

THE ANZAC

Born in England, went to South Africa and served in the' Boer

War, joined the Australian army early in World War I and became

one of the immortal band of .Anzacs, the name given to the troops of

the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps This was the early life

of one Anzac.

After completion of training in Egypt the Anzacs were destined

to make history at Gallipoli, in Turkey, where on April 25th, 1915,

they, with regular UK troops and some Marines and French troops

made epic landings against heavy opposition, with considerable losses

on both sides, but the Allies did make their precarious landings.

The Anzacs made up in physique and enthusiasm for their short

military training - the many headstones in the Anzac military

cemeteries testify this.

Naturally, after it was over all wanted to forget about it, but, as

usual, after the passage of years the wish to revisit the scene became

a longing with many; in fact in some cases an obsession which cannot

be understood by many of the present generation. Our Anzac was one

of these. Over the years he had recalled the Gallipoli peninsula and

longed to revisit his old gun pit - if it was still to be found. When he

found a pilgrimage party being organized in England he joined

enthusiastically, with his wife. This was fifty years on, and he was at

this stage over eighty: a very gallant gentleman, living in England.

The pilgrimage party was primarily for UK veterans who had

served there, but we welcomed our Anzac, and another one, making

up representatives from all Divisions, including the Royal Naval

Division, but without any French veterans. The party duly set •off and

the first contact with the old Mediterranean Expeditionary Force was

a short call at Mudros, the bay where the whole of the Allied fleet

assembled in the week before the Landing. From there we steamed

towards the Dardanelles; near the ,entrance we stood on deck or wherever

we might be for a minute, in memory of those who lost their lives at se'a in

the action. Up the Dardanelles by night and a stay of two days in Istanbul

where a parade was held and a wreath laid at a Turkish war memorial.

Next down the Dardanelles to the Narrows, staying at Chanakkale

on the Asian coast. In the morning we crossed to the Gallipoli

peninsula near old X Beach and landed for the first parade, at the

Turkish war memorial where a wreath was laid. Then down to Cape

Helles where wreaths were laid at the British war memorial by the

pilgrims as a whole, then by individual regiments, etc. After this we

broke up for our individual sightseeing for those who had been in the

Cape Helles area, roaming as far afield as Krithia, where we found

their local war museum of great interest, seeing our equipment, etc,

from the former enemy's point of view.

For our second day on the Peninsula we were first to visit Anzac

Cove, then on to Suvla Bay for those who had served in these places.

The Anzac, a very friendly, wise and much-travelled Anzac, had

in the intervening years seen life in many parts of the world. Although

serving in the Anzac forces in 1915 he had long left that continent. At

this time' of his life his main ambition was to revisit Anzac Cove~ and

especially his old gun pit, or traces of it. He was a philosopher and

would discount the modern bustle of life by saying that we worry too

much over trifles, such as just missing a bus, or if the electricity fails,

or something transient, always ending with: "It's not a matter of life

and death.' Earlier that morning I had joined him. in a walk around

Chanakkale: he had said that he hadn't a care in the world and he

enjoyed life to the full.

We crossed the Narrows to Eceabat, near the old Maidos, and went

by coaches across to Anzac Cove. It was noticed by those in his coach

that the Anzac became more and more excited as we approached. The

guide with the first coach, in which was the Anzac, arranged for the

stop to be a little. beyond the Clove for traffic reasons. Friends noted

that the Anzac worried over this; he would rather have stopped right at

the Cove. But it was only a short walk back to the Cove and the party

left the coach at the Anzac cemetery by the roadside. The Anzac

stepped forward too but fell immediately.

Later on, when we had time to adjust ourselves to the situation,

it was agreed that this was a fine way to go out. Up to that moment a

long and happy life with no worries; now, attaining a half-century wish

and being at last once again where he had spent an eventful and exciting

time in his younger days. To us of course it was a tragedy, but for the

Anzac, an octogenarian who knew that his circulation was such that he

might expire at any moment, whatmore would he have asked?

I had known that at an Anzac pilgrimage two weeks earlier one

of their veterans had fallen in almost exactly similar circumstances.

We were accompanied by a most helpful representative of the War

Graves Commission who had also been present at the previous tragedy.

Because of this he was able to expedite the proceedings by arranging

for burial that day at the Christian cemetery at Chanakkale. At sunset

that day the whole of our party of veterans, one hundred strong,

medals worn, marched with the Anzac for the last time, leaving him

in company with his fellow-Anzac from the earlier pilgrimage.

I sometimes think of the quirk of fate, which, with the Anzac's

exhortation: 'Why worry, it isn't a life and death matter' finally found

in the excitement of the return to Anzac once again, that just missing

the actual landing place at Anzac 'Cove, did prove to be a matter of

life and death.

So passed a very fine gentleman, the Anzac

EHWB

[note EHWB = Major E H W Banner TD (the founder of The Gallipoli Association)]

copyright - The Gallipoli Association

... At sunset that day the whole of our party of veterans, one hundred strong,

medals worn, marched with the Anzac for the last time, leaving him

in company with his fellow-Anzac from the earlier pilgrimage...

EHWB

[note EHWB = Major E H W Banner TD (the founder of The Gallipoli Association)]

copyright - The Gallipoli Association

Thank you so much for this story. Does anyone know anything about the 'fellow-Anzac from the earlier pilgrimage' referred to here? From the article it sounds as if the other Anzac is buried in the cemetery also. I think if that were so, Taylor and Cupper would have mentioned it as they had info on Basil Wood Bourne and the two girls. However maybe he doesn't have a Commission style headstone.

Basil Wood Bourne is buried alongside the two New Zealanders (the group of three headstones in the area shot).

Judy

Hi Judy, I missed you by 3 days and paid my respects to Basil Bourne and Ros Web and her nursing colleague on Friday. Ros was planning to visit her grandfathers grave, that of Major David Grant (killed on Baby 700), before her untimely death. She is also commemorated on their family grave and a church memorial in Christchurch NZ.

Rgs Krithia

Hi Judy, I missed you by 3 days and paid my respects to Basil Bourne and Ros Web and her nursing colleague on Friday. Ros was planning to visit her grandfathers grave, that of Major David Grant (killed on Baby 700), before her untimely death. She is also commemorated on their family grave and a church memorial in Christchurch NZ.

Rgs Krithia

Hi Krithia

Thank you very much for the extra information about Ros being on her way to visit her grandfather's grave. Next time we go to Gallipoli we will find it. It will be very poignant. In the 60's it was not so common to be undertaking such a pilgrimage. If you are able/willing to post or PM me any further photos of her memorials I would be very appreciative. Theirs is another story that has really touched me.

Regards

Judy

Hi Judy,

Sorry no more photos of the memorials in NZ. I'll continue searching though and will forward in due course. I have a bit more on Major Grant that I included in the P&S "Anzac The Landing" book that I can forward you if you wish.

Rgs Steve

Hi Judy,

Sorry no more photos of the memorials in NZ. I'll continue searching though and will forward in due course. I have a bit more on Major Grant that I included in the P&S "Anzac The Landing" book that I can forward you if you wish.

Rgs Steve

Hi Steve

I will send PM with my email address for any further information you have. I know I will return. It is just one of those places that draws me back.

cheers

Judy

Nurse Webb

post-1114-1276801287.jpg

Here follows a bit on Major Grant quoted from "Anzac The Landing" (Pen & Sword), today buried in Walkers Ridge Cemetery ...

Major David Grant was a popular officer in the Canterbury Battalion, he was keen and thorough and very highly respected by his men. Grant was mortally wounded during the afternoon of 25 April 1915 in a skirmish against a Turkish machine-gun post. His body was not recovered until the May Armistice when it was found in Malone’s Gully. He was buried on Walkers Ridge and today he rests in Walkers Ridge Cemetery.

A letter was sent to his widow, dated 27 May 1915, from Chaplain John A. Luxford, which brought her a little information on David’s death and discovery. It reads;

Dear Madam, Officers of the Canterbury Battalion will have written you concerning the death of your brave husband on the battlefield. I was present as Chaplain when during the armistice his body was found. The intense interest and sympathy of all present was very marked. I read the service and affectionate mourners helped to bury the body. Of course you know an armistice had been declared for purpose of burying the bodies of both sides lying on this historic plateau. About 100 of the enemy and 45 of our own were discovered. Your brave husband had been evidently been wounded and was being helped by a sergeant when both received their fatal wounds. A cross of white stones were placed on the grave and the Majors name was carved in a large stone placed at the head of the grave. We prayer for you and trust you may feel the saviours presence near to sustain. Another tie bonds us to the Eternal home where death is unknown.

The second-in-command of the Canterbury Battalion, Major Albert E. Loach was next to write on 18 August 1915. Loach begins by giving his apologies as the letter he originally wrote on 28 April to Mrs Grant had been mistakenly returned to him. Loach was commanding the battalion now, replacing Lieutenant-Colonel D. E. Stewart who was also killed the same day as David. He writes;

I cannot give you the exact circumstances of his death, but I know this much, that he died fighting bravely. When leaving the Beach for the plateau above, he saw me standing a little way off and saluted me. I took this at the time as a kind of “Good-bye old chap.” Not long afterwards, I received a written message asking me if I could let him have his other two platoons, as when he arrived at the position he found himself with only two, and he thought I might have kept the other two back. Such was not the case, however, for he led his company up to the firing line, but, unfortunately, the two last platoons became detached somewhere on the position, and that is how he lost touch with them. I did not see him again, and at 4 o’clock that afternoon, I heard that he was badly wounded and beyond all hope, and was left behind when the men began to retire, but as this is in hearsay, I am just giving it you for what it is worth. I hope some of his men who were with him have written giving you an account of his last moments. The first day of the landing was an awful mix-up. It was impossible to find one’s own troops, and it was not until the third day, that we began to get our battalion together again. Well, dear Mrs. Grant, I have got nothing further to add other than your husband died a glorious death for a glorious cause.

Another letter, dated 26 September 1915 from Lieutenant Raymond A. R. Lawry, Canterbury Battalion, gives some more detail to his death and burial;

On the eventful morning of 25th April, I accompanied the Major as far as the crest of the second line of hills, and then in accordance with his orders took my platoon on ahead to reinforce the left flank of the Australian line where the Turks were attacking very strongly. I was there all that day and did not see the Major again until that unforgettable day – May 24th – Armistice Day where I found his body during the burial operations between the two lines of trenches. Alongside was Sergeant W. A. Hamilton whose waterproof sheet was thrown over the Major’s face. I judged that both had been severely wounded and unable to get back, and had later been killed by subsequent fire probably the same day.

The two heroes were buried in the same grave, and more time than usual was given to the burial service conducted by Rev. J. A. Luxford of the N.Z. Chaplains’ Dept (Methodist). Captain Brown, Lieut. Head and I, the only remaining officers of the old company were present, while a number of men of the company, thinking of days no past ceased their digging operations and, drawing near to the grave, stood in reverent attitude while solemn words of commitment and hope were recited.

A number of us built up a mound of earth over the double grave on which was placed a large white cross, made up of pieces of white rock firmly pressed into the soil. At the head of the grave was placed a very rough wooden cross (temporary) on which were printed the words:-

HERE LIE

MAJOR D. GRANT AND SERGEANT W. A. HAMILTON 2nd. (S.C.) REGIMENT N.Z KILLED IN ACTION 25th APRIL 1915.

At the foot of the grave was placed a large smooth stone on which Lieut. Wilson (who was also present) carefully carved the names of the two who slept in that far away grave.

You will be glad to know that the rumours of Turkish mutilation of the dead (with which Major Grant’s name was so often coupled) were that day found to be false. No indication of anything of the sort was noticed.

In my base box at Alexandria I have a photographic film showing the site of Major Grant’s grave on the top of Walker’s Ridge, now known as Russell’s Top. It shows Cape Nibrunesi and Suvla Bay etc. in the distance, and the curving beach below. If fortunes of war ever allow I will have a print run off and sent to you.

I would like to say how greatly I admire Major Grant not only as a military leader, but as a man, a man clean in thought and action, and one who exercised a splendid influence over all with whom he associated. And though very few remain now of those who trained under him on the sands of Egypt, yet those who survive will ever hold him in fond remembrance.

Also from Major Grant’s unit and buried in Walker’s Ridge Cemetery is fellow New Zealander Lance Sergeant William Alexander Hamilton who was killed in action the same day. His body was found alongside Major Grant during the Armistice and was subsequently buried together.