Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A7V 504

stripeyman

I was a tank man when I was in the US Army, and never have gotten the hydraulic fluids out of my system. And I am a Great War/ WWI buff. This is magnificent! So often these scratch-built AFVs come out looking very cheesy. This one is outstanding and shows a great deal of research, planning, and excellent execution. Very well done! Do tell us more about just what all went into it - materials, patterns, manufacturing techniques, etc. It must be a great story.

I was a tank man when I was in the US Army, and never have gotten the hydraulic fluids out of my system. And I am a Great War/ WWI buff. This is magnificent! So often these scratch-built AFVs come out looking very cheesy. This one is outstanding and shows a great deal of research, planning, and excellent execution. Very well done! Do tell us more about just what all went into it - materials, patterns, manufacturing techniques, etc. It must be a great story.

It was only there for Tankfest, now back in Ashton in Makerfield, Wigan.

Bob

Wonderful piece of work.

Where abouts in Ashton is it, I am just down the road in Winstanley.

Nick

That is just too good to be allowed to knock around the UK or back on the Continent, I shall have to send some mates around to claim it and ship it "home" like we did Mephisto!

Cheers,

Hendo

Congratulations on a magnificent effort. A superb result.

John

P.S. Will it crush a car? A 1914 Renault perhaps?

As the others have said, magnificent job. Can't wait to see vids of it moving about. What's the eventual home for this one? Will it remain at Bovington or is it going to take up residence in somebody's rather large garage? AND, if I may, now that you guys have built the first one, building a dozen more should be rather easy - right? ;) Well done! :D

How much in material, did it cost to make?

Hendo

Thank you one and all for your kind comments.

There is a bit of film on YouTube of it unloading and being displayed at Tankfest.

There is booklet by Max Hundlby entitled 'A New A7V Tank' to be published by Lancfile Publications. This will appear

in a month or so. It will tell the story of the replica that was constructed at my premises in Ashton in Makerfield.

Most of the questions that have been asked will be answered in it with photos of the work as it was carried out.

There will also be a revised version of the book 'The German A7V Tank' by Max and his co author Rainer Strasheim, I think

that this will be published by Tankograd.

Bob Grundy and the A7V team (of old and young codgers).

Did you use real/deactivated machine guns in the tank?

They are not real MG 08/15 but mock ups, they will move by wiper motors, controled from the cab and elevating or depressing by

a cam as they travers. A real (de-ac) gun was used to take a cast/ mould, it was that good the original lettering can be seen.

• 2 weeks later...
Full size replica of the A7V that myself and a few chums knocked up.

Bob Grundy

Do you have any interior photos? I'm building a 1/32 model, and searching for color interior shots. Stunning work on your A7V!

Blackie

I believe this is the video Bob speaks of!

Do you have any interior photos? I'm building a 1/32 model, and searching for color interior shots. Stunning work on your A7V!

Blackie

Thanks for the compliment, I will be telling the team what the responses are.

The interior is nothing like the real thing, it is only a accurate external replica, to do it as a

real one would cost £100's of thousands. we are only poor chaps 'up north' not bankers............

Bob

Thanks for the compliment, I will be telling the team what the responses are.

The interior is nothing like the real thing, it is only a accurate external replica, to do it as a

real one would cost £100's of thousands. we are only poor chaps 'up north' not bankers............

Bob

We're a bit on the lean side here as well-especially as "clergy"! Do you know where I could find some good references for the colours?

Blackie

You could try the "Landships" website forum - they deal with WW1 and armoured vehicles. If they don't know they may know someone else who does. Otherwise would the Tank Museum at Bovington have details?

Excellent! If I had known I had ask Bob if I could come over for a pint (on my expenses) and have a look. Would have saved me the recent trip to Germany to see a replica there :D

The unloading video is a good replica too: it is dreadfully slow to watch :D

Regards,

Marco