Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

James Riley 2nd East Lancashire Regiment

stevem49

A lady has contacted me trying to find details of James Riley 2nd East Lancashire Regiment.

He served prior to WW1 with them and was wounded, eventually losing his leg. In the 1911 census he is a private with the 2 ELR. Death cert in 1935 had Army regular and pensioner.

Basically she would like to pin down his number. There are several possibles on the medal index cards but the SWB has not been checked yet.

I am hoping we have an expert who may already have got hold of the Medal Rolls to see if there is only one James Riley in the battalion!

Cheers

Steve M

9530 james Riley appears to me to be the only one who would fit the bill - enlisted 1907.

dave.

He is on reel 3 of the micro films at Fulwood Museum

as Private 9530 2nd Battalion, he only appears to have got the BWM and the WM.

How come he did'nt get renumbered in the magic shuffle in 1917.

Retlaw.

quote name='steve morse' date='Jun 25 2009, 05:42 PM' post='1210749']

A lady has contacted me trying to find details of James Riley 2nd East Lancashire Regiment.

He served prior to WW1 with them and was wounded, eventually losing his leg. In the 1911 census he is a private with the 2 ELR. Death cert in 1935 had Army regular and pensioner.

Basically she would like to pin down his number. There are several possibles on the medal index cards but the SWB has not been checked yet.

I am hoping we have an expert who may already have got hold of the Medal Rolls to see if there is only one James Riley in the battalion!

Cheers

Steve M

I think he may have been out before re-numbering. I think she said he was wounded in 1916.

Although I am not sure if everyone did get re-numbered as my wife's Grandfather Albert Fletcher DCM in LF, had a 4 digit number throughout his service. Numbering is still a mystery to me :rolleyes:

He should have got the 1914 Star as well, so either another MIC or ?

Steve

He should have got the 1914 Star as well, so either another MIC or ?

he did get a '14 Star (ELR List H/1/6 page 78)...he went to France on 6th November 1914 and just qualified.

(PS. what's the 1917 number re-shuffle? I didn't think that it applied to the regular battalions)

Dave.

Once again Dave, many thanks. The 8th Div arrived in France on 6th November 14, so that ties in nicely.

I will report back to the lady.

Cheers

Steve M