Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

burnt records

eddie1946

I have been researching my uncle but I understand he may be part of the burnt records.I understand all details have now been passed to private company to handle but when i try to find out if they hold details they come up with several possible answers.While i do not object to paying for information which I know is there I do object to paying to join just to be told that none of the possible hits is my uncle.So my question is this, is there anyway of finding out if the records do exist As i live in Glasgow it is not easy to visit the archives in kew where i believe records of some kind may be held and when i go on line all i can find is reference to file numbers,again which may or may not help

Eddie

You have just discovered the joys of research.

Sometimes you have to pay to get nothing. Sometimes you get something for nothing.

My immediate reaction to your post is that if I were to offer to help and didn't meet your expectations with regard to the quality or speed of delivery, you would publicly complain about it. So, good luck with your research.

First impressions count.

Eddie

If you log on to Ancestry UK you can get a two week free trial. Alternatively most main reference libraries have access, and you should be able to book time at a terminal which will enable you to search for medal index cards, service (army) records and much more. if you find the Ancestry service worthwhile then you can invest in it. The research can become quite enthralling.

best of luck

keith

You have just discovered the joys of research.

Sometimes you have to pay to get nothing. Sometimes you get something for nothing.

My immediate reaction to your post is that if I were to offer to help and didn't meet your expectations with regard to the quality or speed of delivery, you would publicly complain about it. So, good luck with your research.

First impressions count.

Hi Ken sorry you are wrong after all would you go into a butchers shop ask for steak and be told yes we have steak but you have to pay for it first and then i will tell you if we have the type of steak you are looking for and even if we dont you will still have to pay for it All i want to know is do the records exist and then i would be quite happy to pay someone to do the research

Eddie

Eddie

If you log on to Ancestry UK you can get a two week free trial. Alternatively most main reference libraries have access, and you should be able to book time at a terminal which will enable you to search for medal index cards, service (army) records and much more. if you find the Ancestry service worthwhile then you can invest in it. The research can become quite enthralling.

best of luck

keith

Hi Keith thanks for that will give it a try

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Just done the same thing with my great uncles all from Glasgow funny enough. I actually paid a gentleman to research them (4 Brothers) for me, and after 3 weeks he told me he could not find anything. Cant expect people to use their time and knowledge, and not be paid for it.

Sorry to say its just one of them things,

Ray