The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

time wasters

eddie1946

Why is it people on this site read your posts,tell you they have copy of photo or document you are looking for,promise to send it, and guess what you hear nothing more

I'd say such an occurrence would be very rare. Perhaps they've forgotten? Lost your email address? Some other reason?

Why don't you drop 'em a polite line?

Jim

As Jim says, with the emphasis on "polite". Remember this is a hobby for most people, and real life sometimes gets in the way

Alan

I'd say such an occurrence would be very rare. Perhaps they've forgotten? Lost your email address? Some other reason?

Jim

Hi jim I think that would be a waste of my time after all if they dont do what they promise are they going to bother with a "polite" note. I think not

eddie

Jim

Hi Jim not as rare as you think I can think of at least a dozen times this has occurred

Eddie

If I were in your position Eddie, I'd probably assume that my personal desire for something for free hadn't been as high on their list of things to do as it is on yours. Unfortunately, I don't think many members sit here waiting for things to do for other members. Many members will help out as and when they have the time and ability, but not every piece of information is close to hand and everyone has a life to live outside this forum.

What I am sure of is that your post is unlikely to elicit more responses next time you ask for something.

Hi jim I think that would be a waste of my time after all if they dont do what they promise are they going to bother with a "polite" note. I think not

eddie

I'd just repeat what I suggested above - there'll be a reason. This place really isn't full of 'time wasters', rather, it's a community of helpful Pals. But if you think a polite approach would be a wasted approach, so it goes.

Jim

I have recently asked for a photo and got it within a week.

Surely it would be better to politely enquire if their generous offer was still open, rather than criticise all in a post like this?

To offer photos/time/look ups etc is something that no one has to do and they do it because they are generous and not to waste time.

Not a good idea to generalise Eddie. Not all members here ignore requests or, for that matter, respond to one and then promptly forget. As has already been said, we do have a life outside this Forum and when the weather is pleasant we go out and enjoy it. If, after a few weeks, the item is not received then PM that member and place a second request. Simples

not as rare as you think I can think of at least a dozen times this has occurred

Eddie

Eddie,

You have only been here for three months and you have been disappointed on a dozen occasions?

Is that a dozen from one member, or a dozen members?

Eddie, I have to agree with all the comments made by others above. There can't be many forums where information is exchanged as readily as it is here or with as many members who will go out of their own way to assist others. But, as said above, life sometimes gets in the way. It's doesn't seem right to complain when someone doesn't deliver something they were doing as a favour and for free.

[i remain mortified that a couple of years ago a member asked me if I could photograph a grave in Rhyl just 10 minutes away. I said yes and forgot. He reminded me. I was busy for a while and when the opportunity arose I couldn't find the e-mail or PM with the details. I think the member was Irish. If you are reading this, please send me a reminder and accept my apologies! :blush: ]

I agree. A gentle reminder is best. With all the best intentions this is a busy time of the year, and your photo can easily get bumped from the "to do" list.

I agree. A gentle reminder is best. With all the best intentions this is a busy time of the year, and your photo can easily get bumped from the "to do" list.

I am a bit web stupid, and for some reason I cannot "upload" pictures onto this site

Is there a help- line somewhere

Have you read through the HELP section on images. If not - click on help at the top right of the screen and find images. Have a look through that and see if it helps.

Jim

Ardmoreal,

Take a look at this thread http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=120788

Post 4 recommends joining Photobucket, which is our preferred method, as it reduces the Forum's bandwidth usage.

Other than that, use the ADD REPLY button, and the Insert image button (the one with the orange dot) to choose the image and press upload.

Last week i had two members contact me asking me if they'd promised me photo's, they had, and they sent them along with their apologies, which i believe was not needed. I have forgot to send photo's, as mentioned above most of us do this in our spare time and items can be forgotten.

Neil

If you are sure they are indeed wasting your valuable time, why not contact a Mod and complain about them.

I hope that I have always supplied any info when asked (If not please PM me :rolleyes: )

I have also received a great deal of help from the forum members in the past. I hope I have always thanked them (If not I blame the medication)

A dozen times in three months, does seem unlucky to say the least.

Stevem

I had a moan on the forum about being unable to down load a photo from a US museum site. I got a nice PM from a forum member asking if I'd like a copy posted. I said yes and gave my postal address and lo and behold a padded envelope containing a CD (containing a ginormous file) arrived by airmail. I hadn't realised that he lived across the pond. Likewise I received some very nice photos of my Great Uncle's grave in Salonika. So forum members can be helpful above and beyond the call of duty. On the other hand you get a few who think it's their right to demand information from other members (they're usually new and don't hang around too long). What does sometimes irritate a mite is someone who asks for something that a search on the forum could find in seconds - taking a charitable view they may be inexperienced but I fear that some just want someone to do the work for them..

What does sometimes irritate a mite is someone who asks for something that a search on the forum could find in seconds -

Hear hear to that!! What annoys me is that these folk assume there is no search facility. When I land on other Forums it is the first button I look for.

But back to Eddie's point.

Eddie,

You say you have been disappointed on at least a dozen occasions in three months. Three questions:

1. How many times have favours from members been fulfilled?

2. Have you had the opportunity to reciprocate at all?

3. Are you perhaps a gentleman of leisure?

The other side of the coin - I posted a document as an attachment to a post for a pal and he thanked me for it. Since then it has been downloaded a further 12 times and nobody has said a word.

Aled

I think I've been very lucky! It has to be said that most pals have supplied me with exactly what I've wanted or more in some cases. There have been a few pals who have spent hours trying to help me, the lads researching the West Riding Regiment spring to mind. There have been cases when I've waited for somebody to try and find something for me, but I've always had a note telling me ' I'll do it, but I cant do it until Tuesday' or whatever

Dianne

The other side of the coin - I posted a document as an attachment to a post for a pal and he thanked me for it. Since then it has been downloaded a further 12 times and nobody has said a word.

Aled

That's my gripe on posting photographs

Neil

My life is one constant round of disappointments but I would normally not share that with anyone.

Mick

thinkpositivethinkpositive