Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Roll of the Great War

channelhopper

I have the National Roll of the Great War for Bradford if anyone needs a look up

Sorry Blue no entry found

Peter

Thanks for looking . It appears Horace lived and enlisted in Bradford but was born in Castleford do you know if this would effect his entry(or not) into the roll ?

Hi Blue

I am sure he would have qualified for his details to have been entered, but I was told the lads had to pay to have their details entered.

Although my grandfathers details are entered in the book, his brothers and other relatives who would have qualified are not listed, so it's possible they or their families could not afford to do so.

Peter

I was informed by a Veteran many years ago that it cost two shillings and sixpence (12 1/2pence) for an entry in the Roll. That was why many casualties were not listed as it was too expensive for the widows/ parents in most cases.

Charlie

Fricourt

Thanks for your input, I would imagine that was a fair chunk out of one's wages and explains the large number of omissions from the roll.

Peter

What a terrible shame that men who payed the ultimate sacrifice wernt automaticaly included. I would imagine it would be the last thing on a bereaved familys mind

• 5 months later...

Could you please have a look in the Roll for,

Capt, Geoffrey Barker, 2/6th West Yorkshire Regt, died or killed 22/11/17.

Any help appreciated.

Charlie's right about people having to pay to have their details (or those of a relative) included. But precisely how the information was gathered remains a little unclear. Norman Holding, in his little book World War 1 Army Ancestry makes the interesing point that "some men whose names appear cannot recall being approached for details."

He also says that the number of names included in all the volumes works out at somewhere between 1 in 20 to 1 in 30 of those who served.

Tom

Sorry Gunner

No entry found for Capt Geoffrey Barker

Peter

• 1 month later...

Hello Peter,

Could I also request a look up for 2/Lieut Frederic William Davison (MM), who was killed in action on 17/04/18. He lived at 3 Myrtle Grove Terrace, Birkenshaw, Nr. Bradford. Thank you

Regards

Gavin

Hi Fi & Gavin

Sorry no entries found for either of your men or anyone else with the surname Davison at Myrtle Grove Terrace.

Sorry

Peter