Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I found a medal, want to return it to the family.

Guest Military Wife

Guest Military Wife

Inscribed to W.E. MCGILLIVRAY 1000630

I would like to return it to his family, if any are alive & interested.

Please contact me with leads, or other information. He had two brothers who also served (they all survived), and I've discovered alot about his immediate family (circa 1890 - 1910) so great-grand nieces / nephews may also have information.

Thanks so much!!!

Louise

Guest stevenbec

Dear Military Wife,

In answer to your question I can say that in Australia we have a way of finding the family of lost medals.

These are handed to the RSL (Returned Services League) who either, try to find their owner or can send them to the Army in Canberra who will also look for the family by old military records.

The Bloke who does this is an old Army mate of mine so I know he does find many families whos medals have been lost for many years.

Now does your RSL (British Legion) have some system to return medals or threw the Ministry of Defence or threw the Regt mesuem.

There must be someone in your country who should know?

Anyway it may give you some ideas

Cheers

S.B

Military Wife, I don't know if you have seen his attestation papers but here's the link .

You might want to put up a new title thread mentioning he was in the CEF so some of our more knowledgeable Canadian pals can help you.