Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Found on the Somme

Paul Reed

The local Somme newspaper Courier Picard of 11th April reported the finding of the remains of nine First World War soldiers at Meaulte in the last couple of weeks. A huge extention to the Meaulte aerospace factory is being built in the form of a runway, which is being extended from the factory out towards Bray - although not that far.

In the initial excavations on the site some 174 shells have been found and more than 120 kg of small arms ammo and grenades.

Of the soldier's remains, seven were German, one of whom has been identified by his dog tag. The two British soldiers, I hear on the local grapevine, were possibly men from the Rifle Brigade, but no ID was found with them. It is likely they are all from the 1918 fighting in this area.

The work will continue for some time to come, so I suspect more finds will be made.

Local French archaeologists are looking at, and recording events and finds, on the site.

Very interesting Paul. Will you keep us updated with developments?

Yes, I think this is very interesting as well.

Generally speaking what are the regulations is someone intends to do heavy construction, (roadways, buildings, ect) along the old front line? I was wondering if there are any regulations that archeologist had to be present, or if historians had a right to artifacts rather than just tossing them.

Certainly the regulations are more strict if bodies are found, but I am curious about other items as well. Thanks, Andy

From my limited knowledge regarding archeological (I do history) etiquette and legislation in the UK, I think that diggers have a few days or weeks grace to conduct surveys/reclaimations - especially if the building application is contested in court - before the site is covered over, often with the intention of resuming the dig when the new structure is to be pulled down in the distant future.

How this would work in practice, though, what with the shallow WF artefacts and if a road or heavy structure was to run through the site, and specific national and war graves' regulations notwithstanding, I do not know.

Mind you, I know a number of builders and developers and they have some tales. It's not unusual for a digger or other heavy device to 'accidentally' run into a troublesome listed building or monument and render it unsafe. Purely coincidentally, of course, such 'accidents' often occur at weekends/evenings/Bank Holidays, when only a junior Health & Safety type is on call for the local council: the builders advise him it's a potential hazard and he, wishing to cover his back, concurs, and the whole lot is pulled down before anyone can object!

Richard

Sorry, been away for a few days.

Paul - yes, that's the one.

Generally speaking the general awareness of Great War sites among the French authorities is increasing on the Somme, and more and more of this type of rescue archaology is being carried out - which can only be a good thing.

Guest Gary Pearcy

Can I ask, as a general aside, if anyone happens to know how one would go about joining in a dig? I have visited "The Diggers" website (the group based in Ypres) and discovered that they frequently get requests from people who would like to lend a hand, but they have to refuse as excavating sites requires special licenses. However I have been told that the Durand Group - whilst being made up of predominantly ex-soldiers - will let others join. Does anyone know if this is true?

I would be very surprised if that is true. The nature of battlefield archaeology, compared to the normal type, is that there are a large amount of dangers such as ordnance etc which excludes 'outsiders' from joining in.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Certainly in the UK have to be licenced mainly because of the risk of live ordnance and for example if you excavate an RAF aircraft the MOD have to approve it. They will not if there is any risk of human remains being found. However a number of excavations in the 1980s/90s were sanctioned only for remains to be found. The most notable case was Sgt Ernest Scott who was found with his Spitfire in Hollingbourne. The MOD had him listed as crashing in the Sea and had the crash site in question listed as being a Hurricane from which the pilot had baled out from. Just goes to show.

Ian

I have been told that the Durand Group - whilst being made up of predominantly ex-soldiers - will let others join. Does anyone know if this is true?

I would find this strange, although I am not sure. The Durand groups speciality is underground work with many of the membrs having a background in ordnance disposal I think,. Judging by the informative articles in the journal of the institute of explosives engineers.

JOhn