Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Buffs - The Royal East Kents

SteveGarnett

Hi, could anybody offer me any suggestions on how to begin exploring the experiences of the Buffs during WWI. I would be very interested to hear advice regarding what resources I should be heading for, whether published, unpublished or held as archives. Are there any books out there which concentrate specifically on the Buffs?

Also, does anybody know of anyone who served with the Buffs during the war? Any information, even just a name would be great.

Thankyou for any help you can offer. It will be much appreciated.

Steve Garnett

Hello Steve

Welcome to the forum.

I would advise as a starter, reading the pages about the Buffs and the actions in which the various battalions participated, right here on this site. Click on the link to the Long, Long Trail, which you will see top left, under the forum logo. Go to Tommies, then Infantry, then find the Buffs. Follow up whichever links tickle your fancy.

Try using the search facility on the forum. Type in Buffs. There will be many interesting threads to read.

I have no doubt that Buffs experts will point you in the direction of books.

The daily war diaries of each battalion at held at the National Archives at Kew.

Good luck!

The Naval & Military Press have recently republished the single volume history of the Buffs in the Great War ... about £24. Other than that, battalion diaries at the PRO (summarised in the Reg history) or Micahel on the Forum has some knowledge of the officers of the Regiment. Also there is a small museum at Canterbury but they passed all their archives to the National Army Museum.

1/5th Buffs served in Mesopotamia (Iraq) and had an interesting time! If you want to look at one particularly unfortunate soldier there was a chap called Harry Luckhurst who was shipped out there with them and only to be killed in the battalions first action - maybe he was lucky. The bodies of many of these guys are still in Iraq. Search for him on the CWG site and take it from there!

My grandfather served in the territorial BUFFS between the wars and had an interesting slant on what BUFFS stood for. Some may now it. Manners prevents me from writing it.

Nick

My great grandfather, Captain Percy Albert Maynard, served with the 1/5th Buffs during the war. They arrived in India on the 3rd December 1914 and Mesopotamia on the 6th December 1915, where they stayed until the end of the war.

A good place to start looking for names is the Army List. Here, for example, is the list of officers of the 1/5th Buffs from the January 1915 list:

Honorary Colonel EW Hussey

Lt Col JM Mace

Maj E Clarke

Capt JS Fraser

Capt J Body

Capt AF Muckley

Capt AE Cheeseman

Capt B Buss jnr

Capt PA Maynard

Capt THO Collings

The PRO hold the battalion's war diaries, but there are also records at the British Library.

Jacq

Hi Steve

The following books all deal with the Buffs:

Historical Records of the Buffs East Kent Regiment (3rd Foot) 1914 - 1919 by Col. RSH Moody. Orginally published by the Medici Society in 1922. It has now been reprinted by The Naval & Military Press as mentioned by Signals. The book contains a roll of honour for all casualties as well as rolls for honours and awards.

West Kent (Q.O.) Yeomanry and 10th (Yeomanry) Batt. The Buffs 1914 - 1919 by Charles Ponsonby. Published by Andrew Melrose Limited, London in 1920. The The West Kent Yeomanry and East Kent Mounted Rifles amalgamated to form the 10th (Yeomanry) Batt., The Buffs on 1 February 1917. The book contains a nominal roll of all men who served in the 10th Batt., together with details of theatres of service and wounds etc.

The Buffs, by Gregory Blaxland, published in 1972 in the Osprey Men-At-Arms Series. There is a small section on WWI.

Regards

Steve

Thanks everybody for your detailed replies.

I think I'll begin by getting stuck into some of these books.

Steve Garnett

Steve

I have most of the war diaries for the Buffs so give me a shout if you need help. The Historical Records book is really a collection of extracts from the diaries with rather a lot of mistakes.

One small point, the Buffs didn't become 'Royal' until the mid 30's - something you should be aware of if you're looking at e-bay. I recently saw a 'genuine' WW1 collection of buttons on a belt, one of which was for the Royal East Kent Regiment.

Mick

My great grandfather, Captain Percy Albert Maynard

Jacq

The only info I have on Maynard is that he arrived in theatre 4C on 9/12/15 as a Captain. It appears that he was still a Captain at the end of the war.

I don't have hime listed under the list of 5th Bn Company CO's in my 1913 list.

I'll contact you off forum

Mick

Mick,

Can you shed any light on a possible mass movement of men from the Buffs (maybe 1/5th Buffs) to the Queen's Own Royal West Kents.

I ask in respect of my relative, 202537 L/Sgt AE Skinner who was formerly 1811 The Buffs. It seems a great many men moved at around the same time (early 1917?). Certainly his 14/15 star and 1916 medal is marked T1811

I have tried this on another thread with no joy. and hope you can help

Nick

My grandfather served in the territorial BUFFS between the wars and had an interesting slant on what BUFFS stood for. Some may now it. Manners prevents me from writing it.

Nick

Perhaps you could hint, using stars Beckham texts style.... ;)

Paul - at last - I was hoping somebody would ask! It's probably not as rude as you might think:

Buried

Under

Fifty

Feet of

S***

I have a many original service papers to Sgt Frederick Henry Benge, 6407 2nd Battalion, the Buffs. He enlisted in 1900 served in SA and then was mobilised from the reserve in August 1914.

He served the entire war and left the army in 1919 while in Constantinople. If you want copies of these documents let be know.

I have attached his original Short Service enlistment form and WW1 mobilisation letter.

post-2-1082982539.jpg

Paul - at last - I was hoping somebody would ask! It's probably not as rude as you might think:

Buried

Under

Fifty

Feet of

S***

Pretty yuck but I have to admit I wasn't expecting the Fs to stand for fifty or feet!

Maybe I was told the polite version!

John

Thanks for posting the documents. Where did he enlist ?

Nick

Have you checked the medal rolls ? They are likely to confirm which battalions he served with.

Mick

Michael.

He enlisted at the Drill Hall, Middle St, Hastings at 10.30 am on 27th September 1900.

He was from Ore a parish near by.

As promised off forum, I will copy the papers for you (there are quite a few).

John

Mick,

I have his medals: A 1914-15 Star, Victory Medal and BWM. On The 14/15 star he is T.1811 Buffs. On the others he is RWK.

Nick

John

I would appreciate that, thank you.

Nick

See my post on Ian B's recent MIC Look-up thread regarding Skinner's service record

Mick

• 1 year later...

I just recently purchased a copy of West Kent (Q.O.) Yeomanry and 10th (Yeomanry) Batt. The Buffs 1914-1919 by Charles Ponsonby from Australia. In the front cover, is handwritten the name C. W. M. Smith, Southlawn(?), Blyth Rd, Bromley, Kent. This individual is listed on page 163, as a corporal posted to "C" Company. Also attached was a Post-it-note on the front stating "Alf Laming who died around 102 years old 1991 - is mentioned in this book. The book is a Laming family heirloom. Do not sell it." Indeed Alf is mentioned on page 167 as A.T. Laming, attached to "D" Company. Both men were from the West Kent Regiment.

Going thru the book, I came upon three handwritten notes

On page 25 -

I saw Trooper Norton our

old transport driver being sucked in to the

wake of a big liner, I dived in and got to

? bank, and Lt Roberts got the recomendation

for that job A. T. Laming

On page 38 is written -

"This was were (sic) that 2 of our sergeants

got burnt alive. I was Orderly trumpeter

on that night. I had to sleep in the Orderly Room.

At about 10 AM I got up hearing a big bang

all the tent was on fire with

grenades and rifle fire, no one could get near

the place, becauase of the danger of grenades etc.

no mention as been made of this affair

I as Trumpeter blew the last hoot at their affair

Trumpeter A. T. Laming

Opposite page 45, the photo captioned as "Hair-cutting on the desert"

"This was me cutting

you hair on Gallapoli.

I have the pair of

sisers (sic) still in my possesion.

Thank you for the loan of

this book.

Trompeter A. T. Laming.

Also included with the purchase of the book were three smaller photographs attached to cardboard. There is handwriting for each photograph that goes on to say enough just by reading it. I have freely posted a scan of the photographs in hopes that someone may wish to use them or identify others in the photo.

Since this is my first photo posting, I have reduced file size.

Indeed my own great uncle is mentioned in the book, on page 180, identified incorrectly as S.A.C. Nawnham. It is actually Sidney Allan Charles Newnham. Only this week, thru some investigative work and help from someone in Australia was I able to make contact with that branch of the family. I had the opportunity to speak briefly with his son by phone. Further communications are planned with hopefully further exchanges of data. Sadly to say S.A.C. Newnham died in 1942.

post-3134-1124537176.jpg

• 4 months later...
Hi, could anybody offer me any suggestions on how to begin exploring the experiences of the Buffs during WWI. I would be very interested to hear advice regarding what resources I should be heading for, whether published, unpublished or held as archives. Are there any books out there which concentrate specifically on the Buffs?

Also, does anybody know of anyone who served with the Buffs during the war? Any information, even just a name would be great.

Thankyou for any help you can offer. It will be much appreciated.

Steve Garnett

Hi Steve

I've got a PDF of the 8th Buffs for Aug/Sept 1915 if it is of any use to you. PM me if you want a copy.

I have most of the war diaries for the Buffs so give me a shout if you need help.

Mick

Michael

Do you have anything for the 4th Bn, August 1917? I'm researching 2nd Lt Francis Ingle Sowter who was killed in action 09/08/1917.

Many thanks

Dave

Dave

Sowter was killed with the 6th Battalion. Here is the diary extract. His death was later confirmed.

post-174-1136203113.jpg

The raid was made up of 86 men and 4 officers

Mick

Edited by Michael