Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ANZAC Veteran Comes Forward

Mark Hone

While semi-conscious at some unearthly hour this morning I heard the last few minutes of an interview on the Radio 5 'Up All Night' programme with the son of an Australian World War One veteran. He was apparently wounded three times on the Western Front, the last wound shattering his kneecap. Invalided out, he was so bitter at the neglect he and other ANZAC veterans received that he kept his military service secret from everyone until recent years. He is now obviously one of the few Aussie veterans left and will be guest of honour at the ANZAC Day commemorations later this month. His name sounded French (Marcel?). Sorry about the garbled nature of this report as I only heard the end and I was waking up at the time!

Perhaps another Pal can provide further information.

Mark

A copy of an article about Marcel Caux from 'The Sydney Morning Herald' of 9 April is below.

I hope you find it interesting.

Cheers

post-1-1081757902.jpg

Guest stevenbec

Mate,

THis bloke has been in the news over the last few years trying to get money out of the RSL and other places over his WWI service.

Now the problem is there are no records of him in any AIF unit. He is not on the Embarkation rolls or AIF nominal roll to show him leaving or returning to Australia.

Now most of us have by now had a look at most AIF sites now on line, and if this bloke served during WWI rthen his records would be there.

Now the Returned soldier system was not purfect but it looked after my wounded Grand Father and provided a small pention and job during the depression which helped our family.

I am still to confirm the reason why the French Goverment did award this medal.

S.B

Steve

Thanks for your message. Now I don't feel such a dill after my inability to find mention of him on the AWM databases.

Cheers

I remember reading something about this man in the newspapers some time ago. It had been alleged that he served under an assumed name in the war, but apparently he wouldn't give the name out to verify this service.

Will be interesting to see if anything more can be found about him.

Aah...another of those stories to which there is more (or possibly less) than meets the eye. If he isn't a genuine ANZAC he must be in line for an award as the oldest 'fake veteran'!

Guest stevenbec

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Why would he not supply his alais if he did serve during the great war?

If he did his record would be confirmed and all the "vast somes of money" (only joking) the Australian goverment gives to us veterns now days gets opened.

My GF died from war related illness in 1958 but his widow (my GM) could not get any beifits then.

Now days thanks to the Howard goverment, widows get a full pension of their sercive husbands as well as full Medical.

I should also say that other countries veterns are also looked after as well. So you Brit's come down under and your shaw to be looked after in your old age.

This is not a paid policical coment.

S.B