Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Roll of the Great War

Guest Ian Bowbrick

You jammy devil!! Well, with such a vast investment we'll have to put it to work!!

Ian, could you kindly consult your Birmingham volume for HEAVEN - 2 brothers, one with the initial G and Sgt RC (Charlie) who was posted to the British Red Cross service base; probably of Wainwright Street, Aston.

And in your Salford volume L/Cpl Walter Frederick HAHN, 6th Manchesters kia Gallipoli 13/8/15; formerly of Ellesmere Park Eccles.

No hurry, and thankyou in advance - Kate

Kate and Ian

Sorry if I have jumped in on the territory, but my Birmingham volume cost ten pounds so I feel I must put it to some good use. The bad news is that the Heaven brothers do not appear in it. I also have the Leeds volume somewhere.

Terry Reeves

The Manchester, Salford, Leeds and London editions are available on CD-ROM from Archive CD Books at www.archivecdbooks.com

I think they are about 14 quid each.

Dave.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Hello Kate,

As Terry has checked on the Birmingham entries, I have consulted the Salford edition for Walter HAHN and have also drawn a blank!

Sorry!

Ian :ph34r:

Not my night is it. Thankyou everyone.

We have the Bedford & Northampton volume here - enquiries welcome.

Dave's right about the Archive Books site. Though aimed primarily at the local / family history market, there is plenty there to interest Great War enthusiasts.

Further to Croonaert's post, I've got the London CD-ROM, purchased from the PRO bookshop. Something of a pig to navigate, but at least it's there. Quick checks undertaken.

So many health warnings have to be attached to this source, I still feel.

I know what you mean Phil. Some entrants have very fanciful ideas of where they saw action.

• 3 weeks later...

Jim

The National Roll of the Great War was a commercial venture by the London based National Publishing Company in the 1920's. The original intention was to publish brief war biographies of men and women who had served in the war. Entries also included those who had been involved in civilian war work. The publishers intended to cover all of the main cities but went out of business after publishing the first 14 volumes.Those who wished to have their names or those of their relatives recorded were required to pay a fee when submitting the details.

Re-printed volumes are available through the Naval and Military Press but beware - the National Publishing Company never verified the entries and you will need to check against alternative sources to make sure the information is correct.

Terry Reeves