Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Somme

john w.

school trip planned probably for October 2009... is it best to get hold of a guide and tailor make the trip. Need a guide to connect with the students, most likely Year 11.

What do members think ?

John

In my opinion it really depends on how long the trip is planned for, whether the school has a history long enough that includes the Great War period and has a list (at least of fatalities) of former pupils with details of battalions/units and whether there is time for the pupils to become involved in quite a deep way in these before the trip. These factors would make a big difference to visiting battlefield sites, memorials and cemeteries. Even if this is not the case, a well enthused guide who can connect with that age group (and with accompanying adults!) can make a huge difference to a school trip - but allow plenty of lead up time and involve the guide as much as possible in the aspects of the planning for the trip, including preparation work in the school (well before) departure.

Absolutely agree with Nigel. Make the trip part of an ongoing project, not the be all and end all in itself, otherwise you'll have a bunch of youngsters who want to disconnect from the unconnected as quickly as possible. Good luck, Antony.

If the school has no "old boys" memorial perhaps you could use your nearest war memorial as a focus. Ask your students to research some of the names begining with CWGC web site or SDGW. Select some of these lads who are buried or commemmorated in places it is realistic for you to visit on your tour. Try to get your students to delve deeper into the lives of these individuals, age, family, trade or calling etc. Then you could direct the students to research the actions, battles where they fell. When planning the tour try to make the itinery include places thrown up by their research but be realistic in what can be acheived in the time available. If you include Thiepval & the Ulster Tower I would suggest a tour of Thiepval Wood where original trenches have been restored. (Booking in advance is essential).

Remember, your year 11s will be very close to the age where they could have been there themselves.

Good luck.

John

Good call everyone.. especially the researching local soldiers

Will keep you in the loop as it developes

Thanks

John

A decent tour company will have a bespoke tour available.

A word with the appointed guide can then arrange detours to points of particular interest.

I hardly do a trip nowadays without going to a cemetery to visit the grave of a great-great-uncle of one of the pupils......and occasionally even of a grandfather of a member of staff.

I should, however, declare an interest.......as a battlefield tour guide taking school parties!

PM me if you wish.....

Regards

Bruce

A friend of mine has a daughter aged 14 who went earlier this year. The teacher asked the class to ask parents / grand parents if there were any relatives who were killed. Out of a class of 31 there were 4 who were then researched by the class before they went and the whole trip then had some additional meaning as they were searching the brave relatives of their classmates - which added a reality check to the lesson. Apparently even those kids who were looking at this trip as a few days off school, really got into the project.