Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HM Dockyard

Joy Dean

Joy

The dockyard is now two entities HM Naval Base, Devonport (most of which is now owned by Devonport Management Limited (DML) and the Fleet Accommodation Centre (HMS DRAKE). I visit the base regularly as part of my job.

Andy Endacott, who is honorary historian to the Plymouth Naval Base Museum, has published three pictorial books under the general title "Naval Heritage in the West", giving an insight on the the Royal Navy, the Royal Dockyard & shore establishments in the South West of England.

Book 1 covers 1800 to 1910. 48 pages. Wooden Walls, Dreadnoughts, Dockyard Building work & Tamar River Scenes.

Book 2 covers 1900 to 1950. 64 pages. Battleships, Shipbuilding, Big Guns, Royal Marines, Wrens, early Fleet Air Arm and Famous Ships.

Book 3 covers 1940 to 1987. 64 pages. Dockyard Work, River Activities, End of Many Traditions, Training Establishments and Operation Corporate (The Falklands).

The Museum which also sells the books and their own history of the dockyard is open to the public - suggest you contact them for opening hours:

Plymouth Naval Base Museum

Gilroy House

South Yard

HM Naval Base, Devonport

Plymouth,

Devon, PL2 2BG

United Kingdom

Tel: 01752 553 740

If you e-mail your postal address to me at Davidadamshp@aol.com I will post you a booklet about HMS DRAKE which also includes references to the dockyard.

This site may be of interest:

http://www.cronab.demon.co.uk/dd.htm

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
If you e-mail your postal address to me at Davidadamshp@aol.com I will post you a booklet about HMS DRAKE which also includes references to the dockyard.

Received safely today. :) Thank you very much, Dave.

Joy

Joy

No problem - I've found a colour publicity brochure for the base which has a map clearing name the different areas. I'll pop it in th post for you.

Dave

GUZZ

Short for `Guzzle' this is the sailors' name for Devonport. It is said to have originated in the old sailing warships whose crews, on returning to Devonport after years of absence, made up for lost time by eating and drinking ravenously all the good things that the West country can provide.

Joy

No problem - I've found a colour publicity brochure for the base which has a map clearing name the different areas. I'll pop it in th post for you.

Dave

Thanks, Dave, for the interesting post.

Joy