Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bradford Pals

channelhopper

Can anyone please enlighten me.

My understanding is that the Bradford Pals left Liverpool Docks on the 6th December 1915 arrived in Alexandria on the 21st Dec and disembarked on the 22nd December 1915.

I have obtained quite a few MIC's from the PRO to individual pals and some of them show the embarkation date as the 6th and others the 22nd. Can anyone throw any light on this please?

Also does anyone have any record to show which battalion 382 Pte Edmond Brooke served in before transferring to the MGC please.

Peter

Peter,

According to he Barnsley Pals book by Jon Cooksey the 13th & 14th York & Lanaster Regiment (1st & 2nd Bradfords) left Devonport 29/12/15 aboard the Andania. They called in to Malta to refuel on 1/6/16, no shore leave apart from officers and sergeants and left Malta on the 7th. The voyage to Port Said, their final destination finished on the 10/1/16.

Hope this helps

Andy

Peter,

Once again according to the same book and their nominal rolls at the end of the book he 14th nominal roll is fairly complete with no entry for this man. However the nominal roll for the 13th is far from complete as stated by the author .

Number 382 in the 14th was Private W. Hughes of B company and their is no entry in the incomplete 13th so it looks like your man was in the 13th.

Hope this helps

Andy

Peter,

My apologies got the Barnsley Pals book out and not the Bradford Pals.

Andy

Thanks for your time Andy, in fact now I know you have the Barnsley Pals book you may be able to tell me what info is listed on a couple of lads who served with them later.

I just thought there may be a few followers of the Bradfords on the list

Peter

Andy

As I have had no success on the Bradfords, is there any info on 13-1006 ACpl Arthur Norton , 14-1194 Pte Benjamin Hayes or 33533 Pte Sidney Clark in the Barnsley Pals please

Thanks

Peter,

Will check book for these gentlemen.

Andy

Peter,

Only information I have found so far is # 14-1194 Private Benjamin Hayes was in D company, 13-1006 Norton is not even in the Nominal Roll but the Author does say theat the Nominakl Roll for the 13th is far from complete.

Still reading through the book for you so will advise if I find anything else.

Andy

Peter,

Sorry,I have read the book again, no bad thing, and cannot find any other mention of the names you are looking for.

Andy

No worries thanks for your trouble Andy

Peter

Peter

In September 1915 both battalions (16th & 18th) moved to Fovant in Wiltshire along with the 15th Leeds Pals and the 18th Durham Light Infantry (Durham Pals) as part of the 93 Brigade.

On the 6th December they en-trained for a secret destination that turned out to be Liverpool docks and boarded the Canadian Pacific steamship Empress of Britain, they left the mersey the next morning 7th December. She stopped once at Malta for an inspection of the damage to her bows after being in collision with a fishing boat just after passing through the Straits of Gibralter.

On the 21st they anchored in Alexandria harbour and the following morning sailed onto Port Said where they disembarked on the 22nd.

The nominal roles in the books on the Bradford Pals only refere to those men who actually died while serving in the Battalion or who survived and remained in the battalion for the duration. You will find many casualties listed with prefix numbers 16/ and 18/ serving in other units when they died, joined up as pals but transfered later after injury.

Regards. Eddie