Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RDC in internment camps

jaybeebuzz

Hi everyone

Had a bit of a surprise today when going through the army pension records for James Eversham on ancestry. On further investigation of his service table I discovered he was based at Hereford, Knockaloe, Frongoch, Douglas and Knockaloe again. With the exception of Hereford (as far as I know), the others were all sites of internment camps and I presume this isn't just coincidence? At that time he was with the RDC. So, assuming he was on guard duty at these camps my question is this......

Does anyone know exactly when Frongoch closed? James was there from 14/12/1916 to 17/1/1917. I read on another site that Frongoch was emptied of its prisoners from the Irish Easter Rising in Dec 1916 and wondered if James was there when there were still prisoners such as Michael Collins present (one to tell the grandkids!!) or did he arrive after its closure just for the clearing up operation?

Many thanks!

Julie

I've now found out from further Googling that the last of the Irish prisoners was released on 23 December 1916, but if anyone has any background info on this camp or the RDC's involvement there I would be very grateful!

Julie

Now there's a coincidence! Just as I received notification of your post, Andrew, I was indeed ordering that very same book online!! I must admit the write-up's on it do sound very good and exactly what I'm looking for!! Not sure I can wait for it to arrive now though!!

Thanks for your help!

Julie

There are some details of this camp (there were actually two - South Camp in a former distillery complex, and North Camp on higher ground across the road) in Graham Mark's excellent "Prisoners of War in British Hands during WW1". It first opened around June 1915 but the German PoW were moved to make room for Irish internees. All these were released by December 1916 after which German PoW were moved back in. Four Germans escaped in Feb 1917. The Times, 24 Nov 1919, reports that the last batch of 2,000 had departed and that the camp had been closed.

Drover

Hope you enjoy the book. I read it a while ago. Given the absence of comparative literature it is hard to judge its quality, but it is without doubt well researched (even if the author displays a little bias on occasions I feel - I'll let you judge) and Ebenezer is a well known local historian.

Now there's a coincidence! Just as I received notification of your post, Andrew, I was indeed ordering that very same book online!!

I hope you used the Amazon link on the Donations page as we get a small commission from all sales generated via it? :D

Andrew

Unfortunately not (I didn't realise there was a link to Amazon through the forum). I was ordering from Amazon through the normal channels but then noticed the book would be delivered in 1-3 weeks (far too long to wait!!) so ordered from Waterstones instead for the same price. But I'll bear it in mind for next time!

Drover

I didn't realise that after the Irish were moved out Dec 1916 the Germans came back to the camp! I thought it was then closed down so thank you for that snippet. Seems that James didn't have the cushy clearing up job in January 1917 that I thought he did!

Thank you both for your help!

Julie

If you do a search on the forum; a few threads have appeared regarding Frongoch, and the escape of four German prisoners, who were later captured near Wrexham as they attempted to leg it to Liverpool. The area has now returned to agricultural use.

Thanks Geraint. Had a quick look before posting but have read the other threads in more detail now. Thanks for the reminder!

Julie