Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New books

barkalotloudly

Good afternoon amongst my recent purchases there a couple of books that maybe be of interest to members of this site , if they have been mentioned before i apologise

"Beyond the Green Fields", final memories of the first men of the Tank Corps, the author interviewed 6 men of the Tank Corps, all now gone, a small book of about 100 pages

"This Saddening List"the war memorial King Edward VII school Kings Lynn by C J Dixon {an occasional member of this site i believe?}a nicely produced book containing a great deal of information, about 250 pages, of the names appearing on the memorial {several 5th Norfolks}

best regards John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John,

Can you please tell me the names of the 6 men in the book "Beyond The Green Fields", I'm particulary interested in H (8th) Battalion men.

Many thanks.

Stuart

Hi John,

Can you please tell me the names of the 6 men in the book "Beyond The Green Fields", I'm particulary interested in H (8th) Battalion men.

Many thanks.

Stuart

Harry Emans

Val Field

William Francis

Jack Moss

Ernest Sneath

Ted Waddinton

best regards John

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply, do you happen to know if any of the men were from H battalion?

All the best.

Stuart

Ted Waddington was H battalion 1917-18

regards john

Harry Emans was one of the orignal tankees; he joined the MMGS in Feb 1916; trained at Bisley; was allocated to B Coy in May and trained at Elveden; deployed with B Coy to France on 18 Sep- fought as a reinforcement with C Coy then joined C Bn in Nov 1916. He continued to serve with C Bn then 3rd Bn and was wounded in the last 100 hendred days; after recovering from his wounds he was posted back to 3rd Bn and then in May 1919 was posted to 12th Bn. His service history is available through Ancestry. Simon Payne (Tanks 17) has his medals.

The others are familiar but I can't put them to a unit - sorry. John, does the book provides any clues?

Stephen

Emans C battalion

Val Field E battalion

William Francis E battalion

John Moss F battalion

Earnest Snead B battalion

I live about 20 miles from Elvedon and my previous employer used to grow crops at Canada Farm

best regards John

Thanks John

Some one told me he was going to a holday camp near Elveden next week

in the middle of the forest there is a holiday camp, Centre Parcs, quite expensive

best regards John

Hi it is Simon Payne here

Yes I have Harry Emans medals, a picture of him and a tape of him speaking to the Lincoln Tank Group about his war experience before he died.

Must get the book then

Simon :rolleyes:

excellent little book only £7.00 well worth the money

best regards John

Ted Waddington was H battalion 1917-18

regards john

Hi John,

Do you know if Ted Waddington mentions Capt D.E. Hickey, a section commander with H Battalion?

All the best.

Stuart

Yes I have Harry Emans medals, a picture of him and a tape of him speaking to the Lincoln Tank Group about his war experience before he died.

The recollections of his war service are held at Bovington under the reference: EMANSHE.WW1

Stu

Got the book this morning

Ted Waddington does not mention alot about tank corps as he was a late arrival and only went in a tank twice. No mention of Hickey

Simon

Hi John,

Do you know if Ted Waddington mentions Capt D.E. Hickey, a section commander with H Battalion?

All the best.

Stuart

did he write "rolling into action"?

did he write "rolling into action"?

Hi John,

Yes, D.E. Hickey did write "Rolling into Action", and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

Cheers.

Stuart

Stu

Got the book this morning

Ted Waddington does not mention alot about tank corps as he was a late arrival and only went in a tank twice. No mention of Hickey

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for that.

Cheers.

Stuart