Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DUBLIN 1916

ARMAGH

103_2195.jpg

Taken from a large photo,40 to 60 Officers, all from Irish regiments. Lieutenants and Capt,s except the Major in the front rank. Photograph was seemly taken in Dublin in 1916. Questions, Where was the photo taken? Why was it taken? What regiment is the Capt with the Glengarry and Tartan trews, Government tartan with a white strip? and why were the other Officers in putties.

Can any member help me out on this?

Yours

Joe

joe, could you expand the photo with some background to see. something tells me they are a group newly commissioned officers? , putties??

mike.

Thanks Mike for your reply.

Newly commissioned officers? thats is possible,all from the Irish regiments? were they on a course of instruction in Dublin? What kind of course.

Officers training was carried out in England ie Sandhurst, Westbury etc.Why no officers from English,Scottish or Welsh Regiments?

Sorry if I enlarge, it is to grainy.

Yours

Joe

No 7 Oficer Training Battalion was at Moore Park in County Cork (just fyi).

The three fellows in the centre are obviously not newly commissioned, and two of them are wearing puttees, so I am not sure we can draw too much from that particular attire in this instance.

Mike is right, it would help if we could see any of the location details (background). Are they in front of a building, for instance?

there seems to be just two types of cap badges visible. sorry ,three counting the officer centre right. i don`t see any dublins, munsters, leinsters etc. maybe in the overall photo?.

Possibly Royal Irish fusiliers and Royal Irish rifles for the young sulbaterns.

Tony P

The officer with the Glengarry may be from the Scottish Rifles, The Cameronians, his trews tartan could be Douglas tartan.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I may be able to help in regards the location of this photo, in the full photo are the officers at the back holding a Flag?

Peter

Any chance of seeing the back row and the window - might help identify a military building in Dublin.

wig

101_2226.jpg

Many thanks for your help in trying to solve where and why, this picture was taken. The owner of the picture has requested that I do not publish the complete picture, as they do not want it copied, so I have taken a photo of the upper part of the picture. Which shows a building, no flag. Who is the Cameronian?

Yours

Joe

I was thinking the same - unless Portobello (Cathal Brugha Bks) has a few buildings like that. It looks a lot like one of the officers messes along the top road. It reminds me a lot of one of the large houses close to the Military College - particularly the one at Easons and the one at the barrier closer to the Golf club - I think it's a UN school now.

I might drive around over the weekend and see if i can match it up.

Mark

Thanks Guys

I am just back from a weekend in Perth, Balhousie Castle Museum, well worth the visit, the place is just full of Black Watch treasure, strongly recommend a visit, if in the area.

Yours

Joe

• 6 months later...

The picture is taken in front of the officers mess at Clancy Barracks Dublin. Under British rule Clancy Barracks was known as Island Bridge Barracks. The barracks have now been sold and most of barrack buildings demolished to make way for flats. But the officers mess still stands. You can find the barracks on google maps which should give you an airiel view of the site.

wig