Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can you ID This Ship?

ph0ebus

Hi all,

I am in the process of scanning ship postcards from my grandmother's scrapbook, which spans (I think) 1900-1920. Can you ID this ship?

post-32240-1245329921.jpg

Apologies for the blurriness of the aft portion, they are glued in and the book is difficult to fit on the scanner.

I will start a separate thread with the other scanned cards that are Great War-related.

Thanks,

-Daniel

The funnel colurs certainly look like the CNR. In 1914 its ships were called in for military transportation; two years later the fleet, then five ships in all, were bought by Cunard.

mick

Royal Edward methinks.

Mick

Mick

Why do you think it's the ROYAL EDWARD, rather than the ROYAL GEORGE?

Kath.

I agree that it is the Royal Edward or the Royal George. The Royal Edward was the more noted of the two sister ships, being sunk by a German submarine, UB14 commanded by Heino Von Heimburg, on 13th August 1915. There are many mentions on the Forum about the incident.

Steve.

Thanks, all.

I think your identification looks good. As you can see my grandma cut the ship out from the postacrd, and glued it down well. I doubt I will get any more out of it but should I ever find a way to peel it up and learn more I will let everyone know.

-Daniel

The mast configuration, on pictures of the Royal George no mast fore of the funnel. I need to find the picture that confirms that though.

Mick

Well spotted, Mick.

In fact, Daniel's pic has FOUR "masts".

The pic seems to be a 'mocked-up' version.

I have dozens of pics of both ships, under the Egyptian Mail SS Co. & the CNR, & one with four masts is a first for me.

edit:

similarly the Royal George when owned by Cunard.

Kath.

If you look at the third tier of windows in Daniel's photo it has a lot more than those other ship photos ?

Cheers Ron

I think it's just badly drawn (sorry, Daniel).

And what's going on here?

Kath.

post-1055-1245436354.jpg

Hi Kath, all...

Part of the problem is my grandma cut the ship out, which leads to some weird things visually when looking at the ship. Thus, my frustration. :) Can't get too mad at her though, she was just a wee Scottish lass at the time.

-Daniel

Hi Daniel et al,

The funnel colour is also consistent with the White Star Line's ships.  I don't have references handy at the moment but I believe there were a few ships of that line with two funnels and four masts.

Regards, Ralph

I think that is fairly conclusive, Ralph!

Steve.

Thanks, Ralph.

I can stop looking for the Royal Edward or the Royal George with four masts!

Kath.

Only conclusive if Baltic had no sister ship. P & O had a habit of using one ships picture on a postcard, but changing the name to suit any of the class.

Alan

Found it!

Baltic-103.jpg

It's the White Star liner Baltic. You can see this postcard at http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/WhiteStar2.html#anchor166116 (scroll down a bit to find the image, click on it to see a larger scan).

Regards, Ralph

Great work, Ralph! You are hereby awarded the Bronze Figligee with Oak Leaf Cluster for your efforts. :)

Take care,

-Daniel

Only conclusive if Baltic had no sister ship. P & O had a habit of using one ships picture on a postcard, but changing the the name to suit any of the class.

Alan, that's an interesting point.  Baltic did in fact have three somewhat similar contemporaries: Celtic, Cedric and Adriatic.  I'm not expert enough to say offhand if one of these other ships was passed off here as Baltic.

Great work, Ralph! You are hereby awarded the Bronze Figligee with Oak Leaf Cluster for your efforts. :)

Wow, thanks Daniel!  ^_^

I look forward to seeing what else you found in that scrapbook.

Regards, Ralph

As I Thought, The postcard of the Celtic is a mirror image of the Baltic, with a little touchup on the smoke.

Alan

Hi Ghost,

A mirror image indeed. I think the postcard grandma cut up was of the Baltic, though the ship, it appears, could have been more than just the Baltic. As an aside, who the heck touches up *smoke*! :)

-Daniel

Daniel - more to the point - what was your grandma's interest in these ships - & where did she get the postcards from?

:)

Kath.

Hi Kath,

She had quite a few postcards; most were not Great War-related, so I will not post them here (like a colourized photo of 'A-Block' at Sing Sing Prison!). If someone knows how I can remove them from the album without damaging either (she glued the heck out of them), then maybe we will have an answer to that. Sadly she passed twenty years ago, so asking her is out. There are some soldiers in full regalia but I do not know if they are Great War-era or not. I will scan and add them to this thread soon.

Thanks,

-Daniel