Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Researching a soldier

Rayessex

Hello

Brand new to this forum, and would like to say how impressed I am with the levels of knowledge of its members, all questions asked seem to be answered within seconds.

Having followed the forums instructions on finding a soldier I seem to be going around in big circles (possible down to my own lack of knowledge). I would like to ask just one question. Is it possible to find a soldier of the great war, when you only know his Date of birth, place of birth and his parants names?

Any help would be great.

Ray

Wow

First answer in two mins Thanks. was not sure if iI should as I know people earn a living out of this and did not want to upset any members.

Most things are possible. The posters to this forum are very adept at finding what appears to be the impossible, I speak fron experience.

Martin

Its all free of charge my friend.

No problem!

Martin

Most things are possible. The posters to this forum are very adept at finding what appears to be the impossible, I speak fron experience.

Martin

Its all free of charge my friend.

No problem!

Martin

Ok Thanks everyone here goes,

Daniel Daly 101 King Street Glasgow 06 02 1886

John Daly 33 Clyde Street Glasgow 29 11 91

Hugh Daly 33 Piccadilly Street Glasgow 02 08 96

Patrick Daly 2 South Stirling Street Glasgow 16 01 1900

Sons of Thomas and Catherine Daly, all four were known to have died in the Great War. the addresses are places of birth

Thanks all

Ray

dont be shy..............the lads will let you know when the clock is ticking!! this is the most selfless forum in the entire universe.........post the name and the details

This looks like Hugh:

CWGC record

Medal entitlement record

When you say you've read the "researching grandad" and are going round in circles, can you please explain which bits of the article you didnt follow and are still having trouble with. To find the above information, I just searched the CWGC website for H Daly, then cross-referenced to the medal index cards to check on first name. The first I looked at, a Scottish soldier serving with a Scottish regiment looked the most likely and the medal records confirmed his first name as Hugh. Whether it's the right bloke is anyone's guess - you'd have to see if any service records still exist, or a newspaper obituary.

John

This looks like Hugh:

CWGC record

Medal entitlement record

When you say you've read the "researching grandad" and are going round in circles, can you please explain which bits of the article you didnt follow and are still having trouble with. To find the above information, I just searched the CWGC website for H Daly, then cross-referenced to the medal index cards to check on first name. The first I looked at, a Scottish soldier serving with a Scottish regiment looked the most likely and the medal records confirmed his first name as Hugh. Whether it's the right bloke is anyone's guess - you'd have to see if any service records still exist, or a newspaper obituary.

John

Thanks John as I said prob just my own lack of knowledge, everything in the instructions was clear I was just not getting anywhere

Many thanks

Came up with the same, however if this is him, this was his date and place of death>

Name:DALYInitials:HNationality:United KingdomRank:Lance SerjeantRegiment/Service:Highland Light InfantryUnit Text:10th Bn.Date of Death:06/08/1915Service No:12425Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:II. B. 25.Cemetery:LE TOURET MILITARY CEMETERY, RICHEBOURG-L'AVOUE

Soldiers Died:- DANIEL DALY BORN GOVAN ENLISTED GLASGOW S/1851 8/10TH GORDON HIGHLANDERS KIA 17-8-1916 COMM THIEPVAL MEMORIAL; JOHN DALY BORN BORORY ENLISTED GLASGOW 9499 8TH CAMERONIANS SCOTTISH RIFLES KIA 28-6-1915 COMM HELLES MEMORIAL. No next of kin on the CWGC site unfortunately or on their medal cards. Ralph.

There is a PATRICK DALY 32282 6TH BATT KINGS OWN SCOTTISH BORDERERS KIA 15-4-1918 TYNE COT MEMORIAL but he is listed as being born STOCKTON DURHAM enlisted and resided GLASGOW. Ralph.

Is it possible to find a soldier of the great war, when you only know his Date of birth, place of birth and his parants names?

To be clear, the answer is yes - but ONLY if

> his service record can be found and it confirms the details OR

> he died in the war and the age and NOK details are confirmed by his entry in the CWGC registers OR

> his medals documents confirm address (rare) OR

> you find a newspaper clipping or some other supporting evidence.

Without one of those, there is always an element of doubt about whether a soldier identified from medals record, or from CWGC records that do not give personal details, is the right man.

Well Thanks everyone I am completely overwhelmed with the response, Fantastic thanks.

Now you started me off, I`m sure I can complete this research using the advice given.

So once again,

Thanks to You all,

Ray

I think that at least Hugh's service record is on Ancestry.

Steve.

Hello all,

Just to let you know, I`m no longer going round in circles, now moving forward with great speed. Once my research is complete I will let you all know.

Once again a huge thank you to all who helped and advised.

Ray.