Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Tom Warner Hill, 4th Bn Machine Gun Corps

Brigantian

I am researching the above named, who died in the UK on 14th October 1917 from a heart condition. He is buried in Ecclesall Cemetery, Sheffield.

His death certificate and CWGC give his unit as the 4th Battalion Machine Gun Corps.

The mother site and other references I have found say the 4th Battalion was formed from a reorganisation of the 10th, 11th, and 12th Companies MGC, 4th Division, on 26 February 1918. Interestingly, this is four months after 2nd Lt Hill’s death.

A war diary for the 4th Battalion (from March 1918) is shown on PROCAT but I can’t find anything listed for the three earlier Companies.

Unfortunately, the National Archives do not appear to hold his service file, which might have clarified matters.

It may be that the 4th Battalion was formed earlier in UK but did not absorb the 4th Division MGC Companies until February 1918.

It would be a great help to resolve this query. Am I missing something obvious? Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Mark

Guest Ian Bowbrick

4th Bn MGC was formed from the 10th, 11th, 12th & 234th MG Companies.

234th MG Coy's War Diary is at the PRO under WO95/1472

Ian :)

Hi Mark,

There is of course the chance that he was 4th Coy MGC and not 4th Btn MGC, I have come across this mistake in the past.

Steve

Hi Mark

I am sure that the PRO/NA will hold some of his Service Record as he died during the War. He is probably one of the 17 Hill, T's that are in WO339. A check of WO338 should give you his long number and identify which T Hill he is registered as in the files.

Steve

Ian,

Thanks for that, you are of course right about 234 Coy – I’ll check their war diary to see whether he’s mentioned.

Steve,

Good point about possible confusion between Company and Battalion – I’d not thought of that. The war diary for the 4th Coy is held by TNA under WO 95/4677 and will be worth a check.

I wasn’t aware of WO 338 and will also check this on my next visit, thanks.

Thanks again

Mark

Chris,

The CWGC had my great uncle's unit as the 64th BN MGC when it should have been the 64th Coy.

I'm happy to say this was resolved a few weeks before christmas.

Stu

There is another possible alternative (but yes, I've found Btn confused with Coy), particularly perhaps since he died in UK.

The MGC DID have Battalions from c. late 1916, organised as training battalions stationed at Grantham and at Clipstone, ie only in UK. Perhaps your chap was involved in one of these. Does he have a file in WO 339 ?

Julian

Julian

There is no file listed for a T W Hill in WO 339, but there are 16 for T Hill. I will check them out during my visit to TNA at the end of the month.

Interestingly, Tom Hill died at Clipstone Military Hospital, so there might be something in your suggestion about Training Battalions. Hopefully, I will track down his service file and find the answer.

Thanks

Mark