The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

W White of Messrs Jones & Railton. Buried Doullens CCE2

burlington

I came across this grave recently.

Jones & Railton appear to have been Civil Egineers and presumably White was killed/died naturally whilst working on one of their contracts for the Army. Does anyone have any more information? He is not listed on the CWGC database for the cemetery, not is he mentioned in the 'Cemetery Details' as a civilian burial.

post-1268-1245072866.jpg

He is recorded by CWGC as a Non-World War Dead in CWGC Care. As you suspected, he was a civilian contractor.

CWGC lists him in Extension No.1 and not No.2.

He is recorded by CWGC as a Non-World War Dead in CWGC Care. As you suspected, he was a civilian contractor.

CWGC lists him in Extension No.1 and not No.2.

Of course, my mistake. No 1 it was. Thanks Terry.

However, I cannot find him in the listings online. Do I assume that this is the norm?

Regards

Martin

I can't help directly with this man, but Jones and Railton (also known as Topham, Jones and Railton) were a very large Civil Engineering company who carried out major projects world wide and had a lot of expertise in the construction of railways and docks. One of the owners was Sir Evan Davies Jones who held an honorary commission in the Engineer and Railway Staff Corps. . Two of his three sons were killed in WW1. There is some information about him here:

http://yba.llgc.org.uk/en/s2-JONE-DAV-1859.html

The place of Mr White's death may provide a clue as to what he was doing at the time. The RE Railway Operating Division had a detachment at Doullens during the war, and I think there was a fair bit of railway construction around that area. Civilian contractors were often engaged in such work during the war and sent out engineers and workmen, including plate layers.

TR

Martin

Yes it is.

CWGC maintains the graves/lists of Non-World War and Foreign National dead as they are the maintenance contractor by agreement or contract with other parties. It is not part of their Charter obligation to do so.

However, if you request a printout from a particular cemetery, they are included in this as a footnote. The new registers are produced from the same printout so they should appear in those on-site.