Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memorial featured in film "Brief Encounter"

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

Having just spent a couple of hours with my girl watching the romantic film, Brief Encounter (starring Trevor Howard), I noticed that in one scene - where Howard's co-star is sat on a bench in the park - the war memorial appeared to show a seated (on the ground) soldier in bronze, complete with a Vickers Gun.

The Brief Encounter film is well known, especially to railway buffs and Noel Coward fans, who can tell you frame by frame all about the railway station (Carnforth, Lancashire).

But a quick look at many of the websites about this film say that the film's war memorial was made in the studio - but based on the real war memorial found in Carnforth. But this can't be so, as you can see by looking at the picture on The Carnforth Railway and War Memorial website and shows a standing soldier (with rifle).

So which memorial did the film company actually base its 'Vickers memorial' on....??

RT

Sky movies have just shown the film again. The memorial in question has two figures on it. One as you say is seated at a Vickers gun; the other is standing beside him and is carrying a rifle with bayonet attached. If that is a studio mockup then I can only say the director went to an awful lot of trouble. That is some memorial. To me it looks like the sort of thing you might find in a large industrial town.

I managed to tape that particular scene and was able to replay it. To me the monument appears to have writing on the front and one word looks like 'League'.

; but as I'm sure you don't need telling in that light it is difficult to be certain.

Sorry I can't answer your original question but maybe the extra information will jog someones memory if it's a real memorial.

Garth

sorry. forget the above. try this link

http://www.carnforth-station.co.uk/

G