Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Library 19th century newspaper collection

Moriaty

I am not sure if this has been posted before, but two million pages from 19th century newspapers in the British Library's newspaper collection have been digitised and can now be viewed (paid for and some free) on:

http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/

Articles can be viewed free from The Graphic and Penny Illustrated, or there is a 24 hour pass for £6.99 where you can view up to 100 articles. Although it says it is 19th century newspapers, there are some up to about 1911.

Before parting with any cash, check if your library has a subscription to Gale. You can often get access at home in this way by going via the library website and entering your library number.

I'll start: Oxfordshire Libraries has it. (Although it isn't obvious - you have to click on the Times Online section before it reveals itself.)

Hampshire libraries have access, but interestingly Portsmouth, a unitary authority has not subscribed. Fortunately Hampshire Libraries allow Portsmouth residents to join. They also have subscriptions to the Times and Guardian archives.

Keith

Manchester Central and Lancashire libraries also allow members access to these collections via their websites

Thanks for the tip. Essex also do online access from home. Yippee. What I'd really like is the Daily Telegraph archive to be available as well.