Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London reg. 8th Bn. post office rifles

wood

My great uncle Clarence Ernest Charles Wood died on this date whilst serving with this unit.Can anyone tell me where this battalion was on this date and what were they doing. Also if anyone has any information on Clarence Wood.

David ,

I have a copy of a small History of the PO Rifles which shows a Clarence Ernest Charles Wood no 385115 kia 30/10/17 formerly 594625 18th London Regt . Born Tunbridge Wells .

The history shows that the PORs re-entered the line 24th October 1917 . Four days later they were given a sudden order to attack in conjunction with a company of the 2/6th Londons in the area between Passchendaele village and Poelcapelle . Their particular objectives were a series of strongpoints called Moray House , Papa Farm , Hinton Farm and Cameron House . This was to support the second phase of the Canadian attack , which having its flanks secured on 26th October was directed against Passchendaele itself .

If the above is your relative it would seem that he was killed in this area

Maurice

• 8 months later...
David ,

I have a copy of a small History of the PO Rifles which shows a Clarence Ernest Charles Wood no 385115 kia 30/10/17 formerly 594625 18th London Regt . Born Tunbridge Wells .

The history shows that the PORs re-entered the line 24th October 1917 . Four days later they were given a sudden order to attack in conjunction with a company of the 2/6th Londons in the area between Passchendaele village and Poelcapelle . Their particular objectives were a series of strongpoints called Moray House , Papa Farm , Hinton Farm and Cameron House . This was to support the second phase of the Canadian attack , which having its flanks secured on 26th October was directed against Passchendaele itself .

If the above is your relative it would seem that he was killed in this area

Maurice

Maurice, many thanks and apologies for lateness of reply. I have not visited the site for some time. Is your book still available. I am going to visit the PO museum soon. Someone has also directed me to another book... Terriers of the Trenches saying that it dealt with the POR