The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Alec Richmond - KIA Gallipoli

Desmond7

Currently browsing through 'A War in Words' by Palmer and Wallis ...

P128 - 17th May 1915 (Gallipoli account by Corp. George Mitchell Aus. Forces) ...

'Began to organise the work when a snarling shrapnel pierced our trench. For a couple of seconds, the air was full of hissing bullets. When the dust and smoke cleared, there lay its victim - Alec Richmond - drilled through the brain - breathing his last. His pals with faces grey with grief carried him away. After work was concluded at 12 o'clock Cheney and I made a good stew. Onions potatoes and bully beef. Everyone was quite in high spirits all day. One forgets tragedy as soon it is out of sight, often before.'

RICHMOND, ALEXANDER Private 616 18/05/1915 Unknown Australian Infantry, A.I.F. Australian II. A. 22. LONE PINE CEMETERY, ANZAC

Can we expand his story?

I have had a look at his service record:

10th Battalion 3rd Inf Brigade AIF

Joined 27TH August 1914

Morphetville

South Australia

Buried Victoria Gully 18/5/1915 About half mile SE Anzac Cove

Exhumation

Brown’s Dip Cemetery plot 2 row A 22

Re-exhumation

Lone Pine Cemetery

Sadly it seems they were never able to trace his NOK (Father)

despite a notice in several newspapers 1st May 1916

There are 3 copies of a photograph of his grave (wooden cross) at Brown's Dip Cemetery; I presume because they never traced a living relative to send them to.

In 1923 his War Gratuity had not been claimed and there was still no recorded NOK to send his medals to.

Very sad. I always try to find out a wee bit more about such names when I come across them in a book.

Thanks

Des

Very sad. I always try to find out a wee bit more about such names when I come across them in a book.

Thanks

Des

Gee you blokes do a fabulous job !

Yes a sad tale...dead at 22...a life never lived .....no NOK to mourn or remember him ......

Except us ! ....reading this thread..... strangers ...but...... 'mates' from 94 years later......

I suppose this is what this site is all about !

'Lest we Forget'

Cheers

Peter

(an Aussie in Spain)