Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Greengates Wesleyan Sunday School Roll of Honour, Bradford

keithmroberts

On my recent visit to Bradford I was able to take a number of photographs of the item named above. Here's one. I will try to replace it with a better one once I have tidied up the remainder of my photographs, and loaded the remainder onto my PC.

IMG_0694.jpg

The memorial is listed by the UKNIWM, and is kept in the store of the Bradford Museum service. I was greatly indebted to the collections officer for access; as the memorial along with two others; (The CF Taylor one referred to on another thread, and a WWII memorial are normally securely positioned behind an enormous and ancient printing press.

I have completed a full list of the men, and one woman, recorded. The majority of whom survived the war, and have provided that to the UKNIWM. I was thrilled to discover my grandfather, his youngest brother, and their nephew commemorated on the memorial.

I also have a hard copy of research conducted on the main Greengates War Memorial, which largely amounts to matching the named individuals with the information from the CWGC Debt of Honour Register. I have not got round to scanning or typing out this info yet, but it will eventually be available. I hope to check the information so far as possible when I record it in a digital format, but have every confidence that it will be proved accurate in view of my knowledge of the researchers. I have their permission to share and reproduce the information for the benefit of others and the memory of the casualties.

I hope to provide lists and additional images for the Eccleshill, and St Luke's Church Eccleshill memorials also although it may be some time before these are transcribed.

In the meantime copies of the Greengates Sunday School lists of names are available to any interested parties who want to send me a pm.

Keith

HI Keith,

Thanks for sharing the photo of a seemingly 'forgotten' memorial in the sense that it no longer sits proudly on display.

Re the Eccleshill Memorials, do they just list those who fell or does it also list those who served?

Both the Eccleshill ones appear to list only the fallen.

I will add photographs of them in a few minutes.

keith

Thanks Keith,

That's what i suspected, but worth a try. Look forward to seeing the photos

Right

St Luke's Church Eccleshill. This memorial is in the entrance to the church. The names on the lych gate defeated my camera because there was no contrast, and they are quite badly faded. I will record those manually another time.

IMG_0648.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't have a tripod with me that morning, so had to use flash.

Keith

The main Eccleshill memorial stands in a recreation ground.

IMG_0658.jpg

In each case I took a number of sectional close ups so that I can at least transcribe the names for the future.

keith

I'm not much of a metallurgist. I rather assumed that although the Greengates item is of solid metal it was not bronze because of the lighter colour. It was certainly very heavy to get it out to record.The church one I think is brass, but I stand to be corrected by anyone more knowledgeable.

This is a detail from the Sunday School Memorial: the greenish tinge of corrosion made me think of copper - could that be right?

IMG_0678.jpg

And this is a detail from St Luke's - regularly polished

IMG_0656.jpg

Keith

Keith,

Thank you for the excellent pictures. Farsley is only 2 miles from Greengates, so if you have any need for additional info, please feel free to contact. You have certainly inspired this afternoon's walk; to Greengates via the canal.

Phil.