The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New SMLE Bayonet grips

GWRCo

:huh:

Hi gang,

....have just bouht (and received) a pair of new old stock bayonet grips for one of my smle 07ptn bayonets, which is in desperate need of replacement - the grips not the bayonet! The original grips look like they've done a 100 rounds with mike tyson, and are very damaged. I'll be replacing them with the new old stock grips, and would like to ask our knowledgable crew, what is the best way to treat the grips? I've used boiled linseed oil on the furniture of my smle before, and am wondering if it would be ok to use it on the new grips.

Any help as always is greatly appreciated!

tim

Tim,

Yes several coats of BLO will do nicely. The process is the same as with enfield furniture - put on a coat - let them sit for an hour or so and then wipe off any excess with a soft cloth let dry, [repeat].

If you do not wipe of the excess it will dry as a varnish on the surface of the wood making it shiny, which you don't really want.

One word of warning - which you probably know but stands repeating - rags etc that you have used with BLO need to be treated with a little care as they can, under the right (or wrong!) conditions, spontaneously combust! (see warning on BLO container)

Chris

:huh:

Hi gang,

....have just bouht (and received) a pair of new old stock bayonet grips for one of my smle 07ptn bayonets, which is in desperate need of replacement - the grips not the bayonet! The original grips look like they've done a 100 rounds with mike tyson, and are very damaged. I'll be replacing them with the new old stock grips, and would like to ask our knowledgable crew, what is the best way to treat the grips? I've used boiled linseed oil on the furniture of my smle before, and am wondering if it would be ok to use it on the new grips.

Any help as always is greatly appreciated!

tim

Having cleaned many a bayonet over the years, I would just treat them with boiled linseed oil. If they were grubby, I would clean the surface by rubbing them with wire-wool and white spirit first. But if they're new old stock then this doesn't apply.

Mark

:D

Cheers guys!

BLO it is then!!

tim