Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Manchester Regiment PoW at Dulmen

high wood

This photograph was taken at Dulmen in 1918 and shows a group of PoW's of mixed nationalities. I am interested in find out if it is possible to identify the Manchester Regiment soldier on the left. I believe that his arm badge indicates that he is a CSM. Does anyone have a list of British PoW's held at Dulmen?

post-6480-1244751935.jpg

post-6480-1244751979.jpg

Thank you for that, it should make the task of identifying him marginally easier. How many Manchester Regiment RSMs (WOI) were captured? There cannot have been many. My guess is that he was probably captured in March 1918 or thereabouts.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for that, it should make the task of identifying him marginally easier. How many Manchester Regiment RSMs (WOI) were captured? There cannot have been many. My guess is that he was probably captured in March 1918 or thereabouts.

high wood

is there any chance you could make this picture available to me? Can anyone identify the chap top left, because he looks awfully like my grandad! Private Gordon Henry Wilcox, serving in the 1st Battalion Royal Guernsey Light Infantry, was captured by the germans at Doulieu on 12/04/1918 - and subsequently spent the remainder of the war at Dulmen kreigs gefangenen lager POW camp. Does anyone have a list of prisoners for that camp??!!

Many thanks.

Jon

John,

I am happy to send you a copy of the photograph and you will need to pm me your email address. However, I think that the man in question is a Frenchman as the photograph shows PoW's of various allied countries.

Simon.

John,

I am happy to send you a copy of the photograph and you will need to pm me your email address. However, I think that the man in question is a Frenchman as the photograph shows PoW's of various allied countries.

Simon.

Simon

I see yes. the headwear certainly doesn't look particularly british. Its fascinating though because it looks so much like him! Anyway, if you were to be so kind, could you please send a copy to me at jonnywilco@hotmail.com

Many thanks, have you had any more luck tracing your man?

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

on 26th april 1918,an un-named RSM of the 16th manchesters,was captured at the spoil bank,on the ypres-comines canal,most of the 16th+17th batts other ranks,who were taken POW at the spoil bank,ended up at dulmen.

the 16th batts original RSM,was 6224 robert cheetham,he recieved a commission on 15-10-15,which rules him out

most of the original RSMs in the 90th+91st manchester brigades,were in their late 30s early 40s,this man seems to be a youngish man.

mack

mack,

thank you for your comments. I am still working to identify this RSM. I agree that he looks very young to have been a RSM.

Simon.

I have tracked down the names of a number of RSM's (WO1's) who served in the Manchester Regiment. I have a candidate for the RSM who might have been taken PoW at the Spoil Bank, 6516 John George Kennelly, I have been unable to ascertain if he was captured.

I have also found that CSM 6962 Thomas Brown of the 16th Btn was captured on 21st March 1918.

I have found that 22572 CSM Ernest George Collins, 23rd btn was captured on the 26th October 1916 and was an acting WO1 at the time so he must be a possible candidate.

• 2 weeks later...
I have tracked down the names of a number RSM's (WO1's) who served in the Manchester Regiment. I have a candidate for the RSM who might have been taken PoW at the Spoil Bank, 6516 John George Kennelly, I have been unable to ascertain if he was captured.

I have also found that CSM 6962 Thomas Brown of the 16th Btn was captured on 21st March 1918.

RSM kennelly wasnt captured,he was a col/sgt in the lancs fusiliers and re-enlisted into the 16th manchesters,on 11th sept 1914,he then became a RSM in the 20th manchesters,he was 42 when the war began

6962 thomas brown enlisted on 2-9-14,aged 20,he was captured on 21-3-18 and originally sent to giessen,repatriated at ripon,on 14-12-18

he could have ended up at dulmen,most of the 16th batt who were captured on this date,ended up at dulmen,unless they were wounded and sent elsewhere for medical treatment

your man only looks to be in his early 20s

mack

6962 Thomas Brown is shown in the Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour as a Private in "D" Company, Platoon No. XIV. There is a photograph of the platoon and I have found one man who has the same distinctive chin and almond shaped eyes. I have no way of knowing if it is the same man though.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

i;me fairly sure the man in the photo is RSM 6378 thomas gammond,37 moss rd,winnington,he was originally in A.coy,III platoon,hes listed as a lance corporal in the platoon photos but he was actually a acting/cpl,he was captured at the spoil bank on 26th april 1918 with the 16th manchesters.he would have been about 25yrs old at the time

mack

Mack,

thank you for posting. I think that you may have identified him as there is definitely a chap who is the spitting image of him in the A Coy III platoon photograph. Can you provide evidence that he is Gammond as the names provided are given by rank rather than in the order that they appear on the photograph?

Simon

post-6480-0-59087000-1430240214_thumb.jp

post-6480-0-41784900-1430240229_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...