Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Moston

Found this article whilst 'surfing'...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...8-31477,00.html

Rather alarming if accurate...?

My hope is that the authorities don't rush the job just to meet deadlines...it would be a tragedy if identities were not found when a slower approach on degraded DNA could have yielded results.

I'm no expert on this - so this could just be press stirring things up.

G'day Moston,

I'm no real expert on the processes involved in DNA recovery although I was a student of archaeology some time back.

I hope to visit my alma mater (old Uni) soon to discuss this matter.

I would think that if the time constraints you have mentioned are of fact, that would be of great import on the discovery of any DNA that could be used to interpret the identities - if not the least the nationalities - of those interred there.

I am sure that there are more enlightened members of the GWF that could make comment on this subject.

It sounds like a scare story put about by someone who would like the contract. If DNA samples are taken, they are hardly likely to be buried along with the rest of the remains - I would have thought the bodies are likely to be buried in numbered plots and supplied with appropriate gravestones if and when.

Moston

That particular piece strikes me as a sales pitch for the testing contract.

The CWGC Fromelles' site has already confirmed that the remains will initially be interred as KUGs unless and until definitive identification has been established whence upon the gravestones will be replaced. There is clearly no urgency or timetable needed for that process.

As for the DNA testing programme (when the contract is awarded), without having any particular expertise on the subject, I believe that the prospects for positive identification are pretty good.

There doesn't appear to be any reason why viable samples of DNA cannot be extracted from vascular tooth pulp. It is precisely this process that has been used to identify some of the Romanovs and victims from plague pits hundreds of years past.

I would have thought the prospects for positive IDs on the Aussies are fairly good.

Mel

I've already seen this article and I consider it very misleading.

It implies that 'ALL' the DNA testing including extraction and comparison with descendants is to be completed by December. This is incorrect.

It is hoped that the extraction from the remains can be completed by December so they can be reinterred by February. Initially they will be buried in 'Known Unto God' graves (unless other conventional means can be used to identify any of them). The work on comparison will begin after December and it's hoped to be completed by the time of the dedication in July. Furthermore, any new descendants located after July will still be able to have their DNA compared in the hope of identifying others.

In my opinion the article shows either a complete misunderstanding of the DNA schedule or was initiated by a company vying for the testing contract.

In either case it's exceptionally poor and misleading journalism.

Cheers,

Tim L.